The Mark

meganeck

Does anyone know what happened to playing a game at the Mark (i know its not called that anymore), but I thought it was stated after they did it last season, they were going to try and make it an annual thing. Did they try and it just didn't work out this year or did they give up on playing in the Quad Cities already.
sealhall74

meganeck wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:13 am Does anyone know what happened to playing a game at the Mark (i know its not called that anymore), but I thought it was stated after they did it last season, they were going to try and make it an annual thing. Did they try and it just didn't work out this year or did they give up on playing in the Quad Cities already.

Not sure but I was there, thought it was a good thing.  But if its me, I would never do it again unless it was conference (meaningful) game or a big draw (e.g. UNI, NIU, ...)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:40 am
meganeck wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:13 am Does anyone know what happened to playing a game at the Mark (i know its not called that anymore), but I thought it was stated after they did it last season, they were going to try and make it an annual thing. Did they try and it just didn't work out this year or did they give up on playing in the Quad Cities already.

Not sure but I was there, thought it was a good thing.  But if its me, I would never do it again unless it was conference (meaningful) game or a big draw (e.g. UNI, NIU, ...)

Probably they just weren't able to work out the scheduling for it this year. I think it'd be great to do when there'd normally be a home game during winter break. This year, that would have been the 12/18 game against Eureka, or either the 1/4 game against SEMO or 1/6 game against Lindenwood. I think an OVC matchup would work well because it'd be easy to schedule a double-header, rather than trying to line up separate non-conference men's and women's games. Probably this year, the 1/4 game would have been better since the NFL plays a couple of games on the Saturday of the final weekend of the season, so we would have been competing with that.

Then again, maybe they looked at the financial results of having to rent the facility and decided it wasn't going to be cost-effective.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:47 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:40 am

Probably they just weren't able to work out the scheduling for it this year. I think it'd be great to do when there'd normally be a home game during winter break. This year, that would have been the 12/18 game against Eureka, or either the 1/4 game against SEMO or 1/6 game against Lindenwood. I think an OVC matchup would work well because it'd be easy to schedule a double-header, rather than trying to line up separate non-conference men's and women's games. Probably this year, the 1/4 game would have been better since the NFL plays a couple of games on the Saturday of the final weekend of the season, so we would have been competing with that.

Then again, maybe they looked at the financial results of having to rent the facility and decided it wasn't going to be cost-effective.

that's what I wondered and why I asked if anyone knew, it might have been a hit money wise to hold a game there. So I thought either that or just couldn't get a date, I'm sure most weekends are booked. If they did do it, I agree would probably want to do it when students are on break, probably don't want to give up a home game when students are on campus.

Like Seal said you would need to do it with better opponents, preferably a regional D1 opponent or like mentioned a conference double header. For the women i would think you might be able to get a MVC to agree to a game there since there tournament is held there. The opportunity ro play an extra game there would be enticing I would think.