vs Tennessee State

wiu712

WGEM Prediction:  Western Illinois 72, Tennessee State 69

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Massey says 63% chance of a WIU victory with a predicted score of 73-69: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=939085829

The pep band has also been practicing some new tunes and things that will be rolled out on Saturday, so if you enjoy listening to the pep band, you can keep an ear out for those.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Tennessee St is 10-9 overall, 3-3 OVC. They have won 2 in a row and are 1-7 on the road.
Their 3 losses in conference were: UT-Martin, Southern Indiana & Morehead St
Their 3 wins were against - Little Rock, Lindenwood & Tenn Tech

Brian Collins is the head coach and his dad, Ricky is the "Senior advisor to the head coach" - Don't believe I have seen that before.

Their leading scorer is Christian Brown, who was a 4 star recruit out of high school. Brown is a transfer from Georgia and is avg 14.6 ppg
NecksFan1523

Looking at their stats and the few highlights I can find online, they seem to be a team that lives and dies by the three ball. In 19 games so far they have taken 435 3 point shots, which averages out to 22.9 attempts per ballgame at a 34.9% accuracy rate. We on the other hand have 303 3 point attempts in our 18 games, which is an average of 16.8 attempts per game at exactly 33% accuracy. As long as we don't give up a ton of open looks from long range and let their shooters get locked in, I think we should be ok. Leathernecks by 6
sealhall74

Different vibe in Western Hall this year. 
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

Only played a solid 10 minutes in this one. Oh well. Loved seeing western hall semi packed. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu712

Tennessee State won the game 58-57

Ryan Myers led the Western scoring with 16 points.

Jesiah West had 12 Rebounds.  Drew Cisse had 8 Rebounds.

Tennessee State had 36 Points in the Paint.  Western had 20.

Western was 9 for 16 (56%) on Free Throws.

Attendance at Western Hall = 1,046

bignecks

This was a well played game by both teams. Tennessee State got the memo to pack the pain against us. 

And Scott I like the addition of Frankenstein to the pep band lineup. You guys need to get a second set of drums out there for the dueling drums. 
Neckfansince71

For years I have had the opportunity to attend a basketball game at Mackey Arena.  And for years I have walked away with tunes such as Frankenstein and the Horse, repeating them over and over.  Its a Big 10 show and thats what it is, a "show!"  And I love the show.  My wife and I were planning on being in the crowd yesterday but her hip has been bothering her and I did the "husbandly" thing.  We watched both games on ESPN+ with mass at 4:00 to boot.  I was cutting onion for chili and low and behold, the WIU pep band is playing the "Horse!"  Not sure what else was played last night, but holy cow, the pep band is rocking it for Rocky this year and it makes me wish I could go back to the Hall!  

Scott, can you fill me in on what happened yesterday ala pep band music experience.  I am sure that something is going on now with the band and pom's and cheers all working together for a great experience.  Also, I think we were 6th place winners in the Metalica competition, when are we going to make a big deal out of that.  All I can say is, wellllllll done.  It fun again to be a Neck!!!! ;) jc

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:09 pm For years I have had the opportunity to attend a basketball game at Mackey Arena.  And for years I have walked away with tunes such as Frankenstein and the Horse, repeating them over and over.  Its a Big 10 show and thats what it is, a "show!"  And I love the show.  My wife and I were planning on being in the crowd yesterday but her hip has been bothering her and I did the "husbandly" thing.  We watched both games on ESPN+ with mass at 4:00 to boot.  I was cutting onion for chili and low and behold, the WIU pep band is playing the "Horse!"  Not sure what else was played last night, but holy cow, the pep band is rocking it for Rocky this year and it makes me wish I could go back to the Hall!  

Scott, can you fill me in on what happened yesterday ala pep band music experience.  I am sure that something is going on now with the band and pom's and cheers all working together for a great experience.  Also, I think we were 6th place winners in the Metalica competition, when are we going to make a big deal out of that.  All I can say is, wellllllll done.  It fun again to be a Neck!!!! ;) jc

Concerted effort by the athletics department and band to bring a new kind of "energy" to the games. From the band perspective, we had a 2-hour rehearsal last Thursday night to go over about a dozen new songs, most of which were played during the games on Saturday. Specifically, some of the songs have a bit more "oomph" to them and we've also been practicing moving to the left side of the stands and aiming the sound specifically right into the visiting team's huddle during late-game TO's to make it much harder to hear/concentrate. Some of the songs we've been told to play loud and semi-obnoxious...kinda like a HBCU band.

Frankenstein and Horse were two of the new ones. There's a couple of Bruno Mars songs that the marching band played last fall during the season. There's also a few that are adapted from other bands/groups like...

"Swag" (it's an Ohio State song):

"Beast" (from the 2018 Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps show...it's around 1:38 to around 2:20 of the following video):

Also, "Still Fly" (based on the Southern University version)

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000