vs UT Martin (2/10/24)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

It's a bit early for the game thread, but thought this was worth posting: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2024/1/ ... ry-10.aspx
The game against UT Martin that Saturday will be on ESPNU.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
bignecks

pumped
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

One thing to make sure everyone is aware of...
The game tips off and airs nationally on ESPNU at 11 a.m. The UT Martin-Western Illinois women's game follows at 2 p.m., airing online on ESPN+.
So, make sure to plan your day with that in mind. Men's game at 11 AM.

vatusay

Awesome!Hope the community and students come out to pack western hall and bring a real home court advantage.  
#ALLIN #YOLO
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:58 am It's a bit early for the game thread, but thought this was worth posting: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2024/1/ ... ry-10.aspx

Will you be playing in the band for the game?

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:24 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:58 am It's a bit early for the game thread, but thought this was worth posting: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2024/1/ ... ry-10.aspx

That's my plan at this point. I should be at all the Saturday home games. Thursdays are a bit "wonky" because the women start at 5 and I get off work at 4:30, have to go pick up the kids, make dinner, and eat, so I'll probably be there sometime in the second half of the women's games on Thursdays. Also, there's unfortunately no pep band for Thu 2/22 (games against Morehead State) because the school of music's Festival of Bands event is the 22nd through 24th. The alumni are filling in on the 24th though.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:56 pm
There's unfortunately no pep band for Thu 2/22 (games against Morehead State) because the school of music's Festival of Bands event is the 22nd through 24th. The alumni are filling in on the 24th though.
Oh gosh ==> No Pep Band for the big Men's re-match with Morehead State.  That is not good news.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:09 pm
There's unfortunately no pep band for Thu 2/22 (games against Morehead State) because the school of music's Festival of Bands event is the 22nd through 24th. The alumni are filling in on the 24th though.
Oh gosh ==> No Pep Band for the big Men's re-match with Morehead State.  That is not good news.

Unfortunately that's just the way it worked out. I can get enough alumni and a conductor here for Saturday, but getting alumni, some coming from upwards of 5-6 hours away, to get here for a Thursday evening game is just not possible.

I think the only way to fix this in the future is to coordinate between the school of music and athletics scheduling. I'm not sure who usually decides their calendar first though. Maybe if the school of music can find out the basketball schedule early enough, they can try to schedule the festival of bands event for a weekend where there's no home game. It's nearly always the last weekend of February though.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:47 pm
wiu712 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:09 pm

Unfortunately that's just the way it worked out. I can get enough alumni and a conductor here for Saturday, but getting alumni, some coming from upwards of 5-6 hours away, to get here for a Thursday evening game is just not possible.

I think the only way to fix this in the future is to coordinate between the school of music and athletics scheduling. I'm not sure who usually decides their calendar first though. Maybe if the school of music can find out the basketball schedule early enough, they can try to schedule the festival of bands event for a weekend where there's no home game. It's nearly always the last weekend of February though.

When you get dealt a lemon in life, you make lemonade.

How about an air guitar contest at halftime?
https://youtu.be/otne940ofxQ

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

meganeck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:24 am

That's my plan at this point. I should be at all the Saturday home games. Thursdays are a bit "wonky" because the women start at 5 and I get off work at 4:30, have to go pick up the kids, make dinner, and eat, so I'll probably be there sometime in the second half of the women's games on Thursdays. Also, there's unfortunately no pep band for Thu 2/22 (games against Morehead State) because the school of music's Festival of Bands event is the 22nd through 24th. The alumni are filling in on the 24th though.

oh thats good to hear.