2024 OVC Tournament

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The tournament field has been set: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... racket.pdf

The first round games are #5 Morehead State vs #8 Tennessee State at 1 PM and #6 Tennessee Tech vs our #7 Leathernecks at 3:30 PM. Both games will be on ESPN+.
We only played TN Tech once this season, losing 77-66 at their place on February 15.

That being said, we go into the game with decent momentum, with us having just beaten SIUE by 28 points while TTU lost an OT heartbreaker to Little Rock by 3 points on Saturday.
Massey predicts a 64% chance of TTU winning the game with a predicted score of 72-66: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=5 ... &oid1=7826
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

We stopped for lunch at Mt. Vernon, IL on the way down to Evansville. Ran into Addi Brownfield’s family at Arby’s.

They were making their way over from Missouri for the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

#8 Tennessee State beat #5 Morehead State 58-50 in today's first game.

rocki

OK, I will admit I'm old, but when did rolling around on the floor with the ball no longer constitute traveling?
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:06 pm OK, I will admit I'm old, but when did rolling around on the floor with the ball no longer constitute traveling?

Probably about the same time the Euro Step showed up.  Mid 1980s?

Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

TennTech proved to be a very talented opponent.  I think we did a good job defensively most of the game but we lost the 3 point shooters and they hit their shots.  Was a very tough assignment with their offense and 3/4 court pressure.  I really thought we did a nice job with our spacing in the 1st half but that had pretty much fell to the wayside at the end.  The ladies have improved "big time" and I think next year this group will be more seasoned and even more competitive than they are right now.  Here is to hoping that every body who can remain in the program stays in the program.  McCowan has alot more to accomplish both as a player and member of this team.  Just some thoughts.  jc ;)

wiu712

Tennessee Tech won the game 78-69

Tennessee Tech out-scored Western 23-9 in the 3rd quarter.

Raegan McCowan was Western's lead scorer with 27 points.  She also had 10 rebounds.

Tennessee Tech was 11 of 23 on three-pointers.

Tech had 18 turnovers, but Western only scored 5 points off of them.

Meanwhile, Western had 14 turnovers which turned into 20 points for Tech.

Attendance for the afternoon session = 464.

Seems like the Evansville community does not turn out as well as the Sioux Falls community does for the Summit League tournament.

I saw the Western Pep Band, Cheerleaders, and Rocky during the ESPN + telecast.  Were the Pom Squad / Dance Team and Golden Motion at the game ???   I did not see them.

At times it seemed like both Pep Bands were playing at the same time.  I don't remember that happening at the Summit League Tournament.  

sealhall74

I did not go today but planning on leaving tomorrow AM for a couple days of the action.  If we can come up with gal or two with a potent paint presence to complement McCowan, things will be looking up for the future.  Our lack of firepower in the paint in this one really hurt although we missed a few bunnies there throughout the game.  They were hot from the field and we were just not as hot.  Most of their 3 shots were not closely contested.  I think we should be competitive in this league.  Pretty evenly balanced IMHO.
Embrace the pace of the race.