Transfer portal

meganeck

loyalfan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:54 pm Also, I just really like the way our coaches are going at it. (Recruiting) They are coaching this team like it’s a juco team, which they were all really successful at.  It’s refreshing for me, maybe not by the book as far as how you build teams, but at WIU this is how it’s gotta be to be competitive every year.  It’s a different time now.  you are gonna be lucky to have a guy for 2 yrs, let alone 3 or 4

Yep Coach said that on a post game interview on the radio, that you will only have guys for 2 years, 3 years top. So a good analogy of treating it like a JUCO team.
sealhall74

When do we get to the point when a D1 coach uses a local CC for his personal "development" school.  Recruits them and seasons them a year or two at the CC hoping it pays off.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

I suspect with his current connections this is already occurring. However, every JUCO coach will recruit the players they think will advance their careers as well. Several connections with different coaches is a good combination. It seems to appear that recruiting is hopefully a current strength that has not really happened in years for most sports.
bignecks

bignecks

Bball Fan

So up to 4 entering portal now. Birhaney, Lee, Anderson,  & Dent. Only 1 who would have been major player next year was Dent. He started off strong and then became 6th. MAN, But his confidence,  playing time, and shot diminished as season progressed.  That makes 8 open roster spots reduced to 7 with first commit. I have confidence in our Coaches replenishing the roster.

meganeck

WIU picks up a transfer from Stephen F Austin, in PG Kimahri Wilson. He's from Chicago and also played at Triton College. He avg 2 pts a game, with a game high of 13pts this season. Looks like he should have 2 yrs left of eligilbity 
loyalfan

Triton is definitely our feeder program AND I love it!
pvk7072

A successful program that finished 21-12 overall, 13-5 in conference and 1-1 in the OVC tournament is attractive to some who see an opportunity to "come home" via the portal. Kudos to HC Boudreau & staff for recognizing and making connections. IMO the portal may not "hurt" WIU the way it might some other mid-majors.