Transfer portal

Bball Fan

Not shocked with either one entering portal. Wish them well.
bignecks

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 pm
bignecks wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:41 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 pm

Are we putting muscle on our guys while we got'em?  I can only think of 2 players in the last 12 years that changed their bodies while at WIU (McAvoy and Big Mike) and I think they did the work on their own, not because of our wonderful strength and conditioning program.

I disagree with this idea so much. Even before this staff, Brandon Gilbeck went from string bean to a stout 7 footer. We've watched Kalakon go from string bean to 6 pack. Even Braden Lamar was stout this season. We clearly have a good system for packing muscle on guys (while keeping them healthy too)

A six pack for a basketball player is about as useful as teats on a boar.  You are right about Gilbeck though.  I forgot about him.   Ideally, you develop explosiveness and a few inches in the vertical jump.  Gilbeck made the most athletic play I have ever seen from a big man at Western.  Ran the court like a deer to block a shot from behind one night.  I will never forget that. 

Konchar from Fort Wayne is the gold standard for body changes during a college career that I have seen in person.  Put on about 45 solid pounds of muscle out of high school.  Still playing in the NBA.

Also, at the tournament, we did not look stout at all compared to Little Rock. They kicked our asses 1-7

Again, I can't disagree more. Our team likely had the three highest vert jump guys in the conference with Cisse, West, and Knox. I think the current teams blow away the previous ones in terms of the shape the guys are in. The only teams in our conference that I thought were in similar levels of shape was UT Martin and Moorehead. 
vatusay

Well that stinks…..he would have been big part of team next year 
#ALLIN #YOLO
loyalfan

That one (Dent) surprises me.  I liked him.  That being said, It just opens up another spot for a game changer we need!
loyalfan

Also, I just really like the way our coaches are going at it. (Recruiting) They are coaching this team like it’s a juco team, which they were all really successful at.  It’s refreshing for me, maybe not by the book as far as how you build teams, but at WIU this is how it’s gotta be to be competitive every year.  It’s a different time now.  you are gonna be lucky to have a guy for 2 yrs, let alone 3 or 4
leatherneckcountry

loyalfan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:54 pm Also, I just really like the way our coaches are going at it. (Recruiting) They are coaching this team like it’s a juco team, which they were all really successful at.  It’s refreshing for me, maybe not by the book as far as how you build teams, but at WIU this is how it’s gotta be to be competitive every year.  It’s a different time now.  you are gonna be lucky to have a guy for 2 yrs, let alone 3 or 4

Agree I think it will be a similar approach with baseball 

vatusay

loyalfan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:54 pm Also, I just really like the way our coaches are going at it. (Recruiting) They are coaching this team like it’s a juco team, which they were all really successful at.  It’s refreshing for me, maybe not by the book as far as how you build teams, but at WIU this is how it’s gotta be to be competitive every year.  It’s a different time now.  you are gonna be lucky to have a guy for 2 yrs, let alone 3 or 4

Great take. Hadn't thought about it like that until now. 

#ALLIN #YOLO
bignecks

bignecks

I posted that mostly so I could follow up with one of WWE's worst promo packages in a long time for a wrestler also named Kayden Carter