Post game recap Western@Southern Illinois

WIU43

I concur.
letsgonecks

I do agree that there have been times Nielson has been out coached, but most of the setbacks have been on execution. I also agree that Norvell needs to get better and more consistant if we're going to win, but not ready to get rid of either.

We need to remember both have only been here 17 games. I was going to compare Norvell to Barr and Lafalce who both started as Freshman, but they were both differnt QB's that made plays with their feet (his passing numbers were better by the way). So below is a comparison to a non WIU Pocket Passing QB that started as a Freshman (first 17 games).

Norvell:

W-L ATT - COMP COMP% TD INT PASSYRDs
6-11 553 - 293 .53 23 21 3336 (196.2 pg)

Other QB:

W-L ATT - COMP COMP% TD INT PASSYRDs
4-13 499 - 305 .61 32 23 3858 (226.9 pg)

Now I'm not saying he's going to progress into the next Jimmy Garoppolo, but Jimmy didn't become a very good Qb until his Junior year and then Elite his Senior. Jimmy was more accurate and had a few more td's and yards, but also only faced 1 FBS team during that span was also not playing in the MFVC. By the way he threw 4 more picks and only 2 more TD's in his remaining two Sophmore games that were losses. I know he was also a true freshman starting, but thought this was a good comparison. What if EIU benched their 4-15 QB?

Who knows, Norvell could get beat out next year by O'Hara or a pretty good looking young QB in Mcguire, but he's improved from last year to now (Comp% up 8 points, with better yds per gm and averaging fewer picks and more TD's) and should get better through this year and into next. He definitely did a lot of staring down WR last year, but think he's limited that. Don't recall any of his picks being jumped routes (been a few dropped I guess), but most have just been bad thows down field!!! He does make his read at the line and tends to go to the first option if it's open, but has been pretty accurate on the short to medium routes and I'm fine with that.

It's tough because we have weapons on offense and the D is built to win now and we're going to drop games if he doesn't step it up. Can't miss that many open wr down field in one game. We all remember the Lenoir miss, but he also missed a wide open Mireles on a crossing pattern behind the safety at the end of the 3rd. A decent ball and it would have likely been 24-27 into the 4th. Needs to find his touch and if he does we'll get some W's this year. If not, there will be a lot of close, but losing games and long season.
SunDevilLawyer

Trenton can be a great QB and I think he is. However point being that he is not right now! So he should not have 50 pass attempts in one game. Especially at the expense of great Rb's like Baker and Moore. NTM...FIND A WAY TO GET MIRELES THE BALL!!!!!
SunDevilLawyer

Breaking News: Word on the street is that Martinez Davis has been removed from the team. I know one of you mentioned the fact that he was pulled last week, I am assuming it stemmed from that.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

SunDevilLawyer wrote:Breaking News: Word on the street is that Martinez Davis has been removed from the team. I know one of you mentioned the fact that he was pulled last week, I am assuming it stemmed from that.
What?!?!?

Do you have a source on that? (not that I disbelieve you...I just need to see for myself)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
SunDevilLawyer

not a printed source...and I can't disclose it...but we will find out this weekend. If it turns out to be true, which I believe it is but hope it not, this is a huge hurt to the team!
DADfan

ST_Lawson wrote:
SunDevilLawyer wrote:Breaking News: Word on the street is that Martinez Davis has been removed from the team. I know one of you mentioned the fact that he was pulled last week, I am assuming it stemmed from that.
What?!?!?

Do you have a source on that? (not that I disbelieve you...I just need to see for myself)
Suspended...... not off team.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

SunDevilLawyer wrote:not a printed source...and I can't disclose it...but we will find out this weekend. If it turns out to be true, which I believe it is but hope it not, this is a huge hurt to the team!
Understood, thanks for the info. And thanks DADfan for the clarification.

Yea, either way you look at it, a bad situation. As if our D wasn't going to have a tough enough time stopping the Bison before.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
SunDevilLawyer

DADfan wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:
What?!?!?

Suspended...... not off team.

Where did you hear this from? And how many games is he suspended for? I hope you are correct! Would not surprise me if the coaching staff is chalking next week up as a loss anyways so there is no harm in suspending a player for a week.
DADfan

I would think my ID name would speak for itself.