Fans or Not Fans. You decide.

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
sealhall74

I see UNH had a homecoming game on Saturday against Bill&Mary. The announced attendance was 18,774. That is interesting because they play in a stadium that seats 8K but it does have some peripheral areas to stand or sit and watch the game. Apparently, they count tickets sold and you MUST buy a ticket to get into their tailgate/party area. Well, that is one way to crank up the attendance numbers. Whatever works IMO. If you can sell 18K tickets to see (or not see) FCS football in this day and age, you are not doing too badly. That said, I see a ton of empty seats in these photos:

http://unhwildcats.com/sports/fball/201 ... 0070/index
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Regarding the issue of student attendance at football games, outside of a few schools that are doing really well, it's a near universal problem: http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtop ... f=8&t=6725
That thread also links to an article about struggles with student attendance at the University of Minnesota: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophe ... 16792.html

I was reading that second one and they were talking about some of the Greek organizations and how they've traditionally been the strongest student supporters, but haven't been lately.
I wonder if doing something like a Greek Day (for a home football game) would help.
They could make sure to get the word out to all the Greek organizations...should be pretty easy considering they have centralized organizational structures, advisors, etc.

Students already get into games for free, but they could do things like:
- Wear your letters and get a free something (shirt...coupon for sandwich at Jimmy Johns...
- Have everyone in your fraternity or sorority sit together...the loudest house, or one with the most attendees (or maybe # as a percentage of total house members), gets something special...but they have to be there the whole game (can't just show up at halftime and leave halfway through the 3rd quarter).

If the incentives are good enough, and they do something like this every year, then after a couple of years, you're likely to see the older members of the houses put pressure on the younger members to get their butts to the games.

This this would work? Dumb idea? Has it been tried and I forgot about it (it's possible, I have a horrible memory).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

BEER, that is part of the answer no matter how you feel on the subject. Students and some alumni party in parking lot and do not wanna all of a sudden go in and have to drink water/soda. Sell beer in the game and it brings a whole new aspect and feel while increasing revenue. Beer drinking increases food sales which in turn then brings in more money. I am sure they can get clever with it to limit the beers each person can drink in order to keep things from getting out of hand. Plus if they are worried about a person being to drunk anyone can just do that in parking lot and wander in to game so it is not really stopping much other than slowing profitability.

The more amenities and positives you add the more income and fan support you will gain.