First game in person in 41 years....a loss

Rocky Swishterson

Drove two hours to Chicago to see Leathernecks take on UIC...neither team rated very highly in b-ball publications so I thought it could be a good contest and maybe a win...something I had not seen in 41 years (Class of 1973).
It was competitive for sure, but we lost 67-64 due to three specific reasons.
1) Our top player had a horrible shooting night...Covington could not buy a basket. He did other things well, but 3 for 13 does not cut it.
2) For the second game in a row we were outscored badly at the free throw line. First game, another close one lost, we shot around 50 percent. This game we were better percentage-wise 7 for 10. But UIC was 24 for 29...that's a 17-point difference at the stripe. And it was easy to see why we shot so few free throws...almost all of our shots were from the perimeter. Not much going inside. And honestly, it doesn't look like we have an inside presence to go to.
3) Down the stretch, their big man Jake Weigand absolutely killed us. There was a stretch there where they went to him successfully three consecutive times. But our defense never changed until after the third time. Single coverage, overpowered. That was disappointing to see. Not too happy that coach Wright did not adjust to the obvious.
Fuller looked good, the kid from Australia did too. Sandifer is better than what he showed. But without a big guy, which separates mediocre and good teams, it will be a long season.
wiu2008

I also noticed us getting hammered down low late with no real adjustments made.

Would have liked to see chapman back in there to bang a little bit and maybe some double teaming.

I still think the players will improve and the coaching will improve as we progress this year.
sealhall74

Are we playing Mo's packline or some variation of it (it looked vaguely familiar). If it is the packline, job #1 in packline is to deny dribble penetration. That UIC point killed us with penetration. Probably won't see anyone that good in conference play but still...
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

While the women are kicking CSU's butt, I was browsing some box scores this week. Two interesting tidbits to share:

1) Lack of size is contagious in the Summit. Several teams are going with 4G lineups this year.
2) Obi put up 30 against Mizzou last night in a losing effort but got limited minutes because of foul trouble.
vatusay

Obi.

Ugh.

That is all.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2008

Obi cost us an ncaa bid. A head coach staying. And many years of success after that.

But hey.

At least we aren't Bradley...
vatusay

The student body probably had no idea obi played here then bailed. I won't be clapping for him when oru visits here that's for sure. With him, ceola, and tp. First round win is NCAA was very very possible. Instead we are set back at least two years. Just very disappointing
#ALLIN #YOLO
cubsflag

billy wright has the right idea if you ask me.he is building debth.your whole team cant go down the tubes because of a transfer or an injury or two.-------------also--wiu did have obi in that championship game 3 yrs ago that would have really springboard this program if they would have won.but we all know why wiu lost that game though some wont admit it.just watch the replay.
Last edited by cubsflag on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
sealhall74

wiu2008 wrote:Obi cost us an ncaa bid. A head coach staying. And many years of success after that.

But hey.

At least we aren't Bradley...
I agree Obi's return would have been very rough for Mo to take. I am kind of sad about Obi leaving us too. I will never forget watching him go through his pre-game dribble routine (two balls, different ball heights, different dribble tempo on each ball). The kid has some good skills. Maybe we can have a little fun with it. What do you think would be appropriate tune bites to play during pre-game and crucial breaks in action when he hits town on Jan 10. I can't seem to find any that work for me.

I do have the perfect sign for students to wave:

Welcome back Obi. We opened the dorms a week early just for you.

I don't think too many students will be around for it unfortunately although I see they will open up Olson Hall about a week early during winter break.
vatusay

I'm talking about ceola and TPs senior year. That could have been a very special year if not for transfer/injuries of top three, by a mile, guys.
#ALLIN #YOLO