GDT South Dakota State

sealhall74

Heartbreaker of a loss 79-77. Great effort just the same.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Western's lay-up shot to tie the game rolled off. Tough loss.

ESPN named Garret Covington as Western's "Top Performer": 31 Pts, 6 Reb, 4 Ast, 2 Stl.

South Dakota State had 13 three-pointers with 9 coming in the first half.

Western was only 9 for 20 on free throws (45%).

Attendance at Western Hall was 1,139 on a very cold night.
vatusay

Free throws. Free throws. *****FREE***** throws.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

I think we have proven that we can compete with every team in Summit on a home/neutral court. Just not sure how neutral the new tournament arena is going to be. It has to be more neutral than the "Old Barn" which was one of the loudest places I have ever watched a basketball game. Not to mention, the fans were right on the court. On the subject of fans, who is in for tournament this year? Pep band?

With many more available seats, it will be interesting to see how they divvy up the prime time seats which are close to the floor behind the benches. Assuming a school can afford to take the revenue loss, I am thinking a good strategy this year might be to NOT sell your unsold ticket allotment back to the conference/arena. IMO, it is much better to have empty seats close to the floor than a bunch of screaming fans probably rooting for the opponent. I would not say that for the Old Barn because seats were in such high demand but it may be wise to go with that plan this year.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I know that the pep band (at least, some members) will be making the trip. The band director was asking on their facebook page for info for tournament attendees earlier this month.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Rocky Swishterson

Sounds like the 'Necks have definitely improved since meeting 'Rabbits in January, although free-throwing still a weak point which hurts in a two-point loss. In monitoring the Summit results it seems to me that, yes, Western has a fighting chance to compete in conference tourney, although odds of winning it would seem to be somewhere about 40-1. Still, a chance is a chance. I hope Covington does not get discouraged by this constant losing and transfer.
wiu2008

If we get the 8 seed and ndsu gets the 1 seed... We can give them a game... Is this a tournament team? No... But we can play with anyone