Program cuts

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Wasn't there suppose to be an announcement upcoming about the future development of west side of Hanson Field ????
Well, my guess based on what I saw and heard about last fall was that there'd be something announced prior to the start of the 2015 football season. At this point, with all the questions about financial support from the state...cutting programs...ways to save money...I don't have any idea at this point. It's still possible we might hear something when it gets closer to football season, but they may not be able to swing it at this point.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Not really directly related with this, but with the school having so many years with decreased enrollment I am surprised they haven't stepped up and hosted the local regional & sectional basketball games or football games. This would be a great way to bring in all kinds of students to see what the campus has to offer that may never set foot on the campus otherwise. I know Macomb played West Hancock for their basketball regional last week and maybe this is something that the IHSA does not allow due to giving the better team home court advantage, but would sure be nice to bring in the big crowds for the playoff time runs when there are way more in attendance. Seems like NIU or ISU has the men's basketball super sectionals every year which draw large crowds.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Macomb used to be a Super-Sectional Site at one time (mid-90s for sure...not sure how much before or after that). When I was a Senior (I think) in high school, our basketball team made it to the state championship tournament after winning an exciting game against...I think Pittsfield...to win the Macomb (WIU) Super Sectional. I don't know why they decided to move it, or who's decision that was, but it looks like the SS sites are NIU, ISU, SIU, and Jacksonville now (at the Jacksonville Bowl: http://jacksonvillebowl.org/). It's a historic venue, for sure, but I'm sure teams from Bloomington/Normal have been at the ISU SS and I'd bet that Jacksonville has made it to Super Sectional level at some point as well, so I doubt that "home team advantage" is a big consideration.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Western was suppose to be in a rotational pattern with UIS to host the Class 2A Super-Sectional.

UIS is hosting this year. That game will have the winner of the Riverton Sectional (where Macomb is playing) vs the winner of the Maroa-Forsyth Sectional.

The other three 2A Super-Sectionals will be at SIU-C, NIU, and Joliet Central.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:Western was suppose to be in a rotational pattern with UIS to host the Class 2A Super-Sectional.

UIS is hosting this year. That game will have the winner of the Riverton Sectional (where Macomb is playing) vs the winner of the Maroa-Forsyth Sectional.

The other three 2A Super-Sectionals will be at SIU-C, NIU, and Joliet Central.
Back in the heyday of Illinois high school basketball when they had a single tournament format, Western Hall hosted almost all area supersectionals if I am not mistaken.

http://idnc.library.illinois.edu/cgi-bi ... 90318.2.57
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Earlier, someone mentioned the engineering program WESTERN has. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but, is this a " traditional engineering program ", like mechanical or chemical that you find at NIU, U of I or Bradley? Or, is it one of the industrial maintenance programs that are available and often times have the engineering label attached? Not knocking that degree, just asking for clarity.
WIU0812

This is from the QC website:
"WIU's School of Engineering is one of the newest ABET accredited engineering programs in the State of Illinois. We offer a multidisciplinary degree that allows students to build specialization on top of a fundamental core of subjects from Math, Science, Mechanics, Materials, Electronics, Robotics-Automation, Thermo-Fluids, Structures, Engineering Management, and Design. Why? Because we live in a multi-disciplinary world and these are the subject areas you need to master if you are going to remain competitive in this century!

Western Engineers can chose from six “emphasis” areas in Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Manufacturing-Quality, and Materials Engineering, and Engineering Management. We encourage you to take electives in more than one emphasis area since this makes you more valuable to potential employers and gives you greater flexibility in career paths. The beauty of our program is that you make the decision of which area you want to specialize in at the beginning of your senior year! So if you are undecided and want to do an internship before making your choice, you can do it! That’s flexibility!"

http://www.wiu.edu/cbt/qc/engineering/

http://www.wiu.edu/academics/majors/bus ... eering.php

They need a larger focus on civil engineering I think for heavy highway construction and to accompany that into their construction management side as well there are few schools with Construction Management with an emphasis in Heavy Highway. Could be a point to stand out in the state as one and only.
Tere North

It's a general engineering degree, not a specific mechanical, electric, etc., engineering degree, but it is an ABET-accredited program. http://www.wiu.edu/cbt/qc/engineering/
sealhall74

Would be nice if we could get John Deere's stamp of approval on our Engineering Program in much the same way that Caterpillar has done with Bradley. I know they offer internships, etc. but that branding would be priceless. Might have to earn it though - the WIU program is relatively new. It is a little confusing to me with the "School of Engineering" being based in Quad-Cities and the "Engineering Technology" program mostly happening on Macomb campus - or at least that is the way it appears to me from web site.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

If I recall, it was Rock Island arsenal who pushed to get the engineering program. Perhaps John Deere did as well.