Commissioner's Cup

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
leatherface

Every year about this time I go on a rant, and unfortunately, it's no different this year. Conference awards/rankings are likely set, and again we find WESTERN near the bottom of all team awards. Isn't any one besides me tired of being a conference bottom feeder?

Commissioner's Cup- WESTERN ranks 7th
Men's All-Sports- WESTERN ranks 8th
Women's All-Sports- WESTERN ranks 8th

Based on a point system.

This gets old year after year, especially for folks like me who have been around awhile. Really, doesn't this continually point to a major problem? Always a lot of talk, but as we know, talk is cheap. The school needs to be committed, and I wonder if they really are. Satisfied to just plug along???????
meganeck

I agree, it is a shame they are not more competitive. I get tired of getting beat by the Dakota schools in everything. It does seem that WIU is content with being average.
rocki

Just curious, what do you think the answer is? Doesn't appear that Western's alumni are doing a whole heck of a lot to support athletics - all you have to do is look at NDSU and see the massive contributions they get. So, are we not getting contributions because we have tended to suck, or are our alumni just not willing/able to contribute period?

We know we can't depend on the state for anything, it's up to Western to work on pulling itself up out of the hole. I will say that alumni still based in IL are probably battling the hideous economy in every aspect of their lives - business as well as personal - which is not helping us either.

I don't have the answers, I'll be the first to admit. I would like to hear what you guys think will get us back to our competitive edge and spirit.
Neckfansince71

The Bison had 8 national champions in football before they joined the FCS, and have won 4 more at that level. That kind of success has got to create interest and interest creates $! They also happen to be one of two major schools in their state. The Bison just have it going at this point and IMO I am not sure it will stop until they go "big time!" But that in the long run may be their demise unless cooler heads prevail. Money and support means more scholarships and facilities. Hey what about South Dakota State? Seems like they have a "sugar daddy" who stepped forward to get their stadium reconstruction going. IMO What WIU needs is just that! More LC members can and will help athletes and facilities and 800 members is merely a stepping stone to1500. Success on the field can only help! Just ask NDst. Rome was not built in a day! ;) jc
sealhall74

A key recipe ingredient of the NDSU Teammakers (equivalent of our Leatherneck Club) is their "charitable gaming" ventures. I don't see any reason we could not do the 50-50 raffles during ball games like they do unless there is some Illinois law that prevents such a thing. On the big video screen at City Bank Park in Philly they have a little corner of it reserved for the 50-50 jackpot. It is always there and ticking away enticing fans to stop by one of the several booths to buy some tickets. I assume they have something like that in the Fargodome because I know they have all of the automation in place to sell the raffle tickets just like the Phillies, Cubs, and every other MLB team.

Not rocket science what these guys are doing with the 50-50. Just good common sense.

The 50-50 raffles are not the only thing going on in Fargo. Local businesses also have unique ways to drum of business and interest in the Bison:

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/article/id/21157/

Another thing they have going on up north right now is actually a side effect of the recent downturn in world-wide oil prices. It no longer is profitable to just drill more oil wells. Now, some of that money that would have gone into research and well-drilling is now being pumped into state infrastructure like roads, bridges, and probably college campus facilities.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:I don't see any reason we could not do the 50-50 raffles during ball games.
Western used to do 50-50 raffles at the football and basketball games. Members of a specific sports team would sell the tickets, and the proceeds would go to that particular team.
leatherface

As we await this mystical, magical " sugar daddy " to appear and solve all of WESTERN'S needs :), here's hoping the new AD sets a plan in action that the school is committed to following. I believe it's time for some tough decisions to be made, and, I hope this new person is capable and given the support to do that.
sealhall74

Does the Leatherneck Club always have a promotional table or booth setup for each and every home football, basketball, ... game? I don't recall seeing one on my limited trips in from afar. It should be a right of passage into "The Club" to work that table/booth if called upon. Will it get a little lonely at times you work it? Yes. Will you miss a bit of the game action? Yes. But that is life. Forget about a Sugar Daddy. This will take a TOTAL TEAM effort to turn this around. If it's my turn to work, I will gladly fly back for it. How about some award for the LC member who gathers up/refers the most new members during the year? How about recognition for such accomplishment at the Wespys?

First things first though. I still need to get my LC dues in for next year. Kind of holding off until I hear something from the AD search committee but that is just me being me.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:Does the Leatherneck Club always have a promotional table or booth setup for each and every home football, basketball, ... game?
I think that there was some information (pamphlets, etc) about the Leatherneck Club that would be on the tables at the two entrances into Western Hall where you would pick up the game program. They were unmanned.
Mizzou Rah

Fairly simple answer to why North Dakota schools are superior in athletics. College athletics are all North Dakota has. There are many D1 schools in Illinois and even more D1AA schools. We have professional sports teams in every direction in every sport. North Dakota has none of that. They hang their hat on one program and one program alone. I grew up near Nebraska and saw the same thing. Nebraska football is and was king and always will be. Same with NDSU and their sports programs. In addition, North Dakota is in a much better financial setting than Illinois in every way. North Dakota's economy is far superior to Illinois' and the $$ rolls in. Hardly the case with this corrupt state and we have many more schools to support to boot.