Commissioner's Cup

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Based on ST Lawson's GLVC map, Western would be towards the center point of that conference circle.
Geographic center of the existing conference members is a bit south of Jacksonville....so yea, we're pretty close to right in the middle.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

GLVC Football has 9 teams:
University of Indianapolis
McKendree University (Lebanon, IL)
Missouri S&T (Rolla, MO)
Saint Joseph's College (Rensselaer, IN)
Truman State (Kirksville, MO)
Quincy University
William Jewell College (Liberty, MO)
*Southwest Baptist University (Bolivar, MO)
*Lincoln University (Jefferson City, MO)

* = Associate Member
sealhall74

What is interesting about the GLVC is that, like the Summit League, it also appears to have a "Sphere of Influence", judging by its national championship success. Some of those schools have moved on to bigger and better things, but the schools which have a Natty under their belt generally have come from southern Indiana and northern Kentucky areas, almost all from or nearby to a large metro area. Hmmm? Some things in life never change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lak ... Conference
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

GLVC is known as a very strong BB conference- men's and women's. Also some other sports too. Football is very, very weak. They are trying to up grade the level of play, but are know where near the level of the MIAA for example. Indianapolis is the strongest program. Truman left the MIAA over travel, but also they just didn't want to put the money into trying to keep up with the money many of those schools spend on football and some of the other sports. Academics also played into the decision. GLVC would be a stronger academic perception than the MIAA too.
wrj

Is changing to a lower division a possibility that is actually being considered, or is this still in the category of kicking around any and all ideas for being competitive?
A proud lifelong fan of the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State University.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wrj wrote:Is changing to a lower division a possibility that is actually being considered, or is this still in the category of kicking around any and all ideas for being competitive?
At this point, the financial situation is bad enough that just about any option for saving money is at least being considered. There are some ideas that the president's office put forth to the public for saving money in the university as a whole, but I haven't heard anything specifically relating to athletics yet. I'd say it's pretty likely that the athletics department is at least kicking around a few ideas for how to save money. I know that most departments have been asked to come up with plans for how to cut specific amounts...10%, 20%, etc. Dropping to Div. II would be kinda the "nuclear" option, and I hope it never comes to that, but I think it'd be irresponsible to not at least take a look and find out the estimated impact on cost savings, enrollment, etc.

I'd imagine that all the smaller Illinois schools are probably doing the same thing right now as well, especially over at Eastern.
WIU0812

I am sure there is not much the City of Macomb can do to help, but could they perhaps reduce cost of water and sewer or would that hurt them to much. I would assume if WIU completely collapses and has to close doors that Macomb falls apart and not only are jobs from the school lost, but many local stores would see their doors close. Probably good chance the amtrak that direction would shut down as well effecting Quincy and Galesburg. Terrible to look at but someone has to be lobbying for even small items to help stabilize until we get out of this rut. If it gets any worse there is a good chance we see a drop down to DII as it appears to be the most effective cost saving effort and I doubt there is much about WIU sports that cause kids to go there. I am assuming it is probably one of the least important things that most WIU students care about when they start there. I would hate to see this happen, but it seems to make to much sense not to make this a real option.
Neckfansince71

Sorry but I really don't think it is that simple! ;) jc
wiu712

Eastern Illinois recently cut $320,000 out of its Athletics budget.

We have already seen two schools from our conference make changes to their Athletics program:

Northeastern Illinois has eliminated its intercollegiate athletics program. They now have a few team club sports and an intramural program.

Centenary has transitioned to NCAA Division 3.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I highly doubt we'll see Western close completely. If the budget decreases significantly, we'd have to make some significant cuts in programs offered, future building/improvement plans, sports offered (or Division), but there'll still be a university here.

EIU also let go...I think something around 60-65 people, if I remember correctly. They're losing students faster than we are though, so they're having to make those cuts a bit sooner/more drastically than we have had to so far.