Logo Change

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
wiu51

I like globe logo, I'm not a huge fan of the logo with just Rocky.
WIU0812

The problem is that there was a change.org petition that collected signatures to deny us to use the symbol. I am sure this was the start.
rocki

WIU0812 wrote:The problem is that there was a change.org petition that collected signatures to deny us to use the symbol. I am sure this was the start.
Just curious as to why someone would start a petition against us using the symbol after all these years. Any ideas?
sealhall74

Good grief. I probably won't be able to sleep at nights without knowing how many change.org signatures it took before the admins said "uncle". On the other hand, sometimes in life you just have to leave well enough alone and concentrate on what is really important. I will be perfectly content with a CONSISTENTLY-WINNING, WELL-EDUCATED bunch who perform in a name-less, mascot-less, logo-less, and band-less world.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:
WIU0812 wrote:The problem is that there was a change.org petition that collected signatures to deny us to use the symbol. I am sure this was the start.
Just curious as to why someone would start a petition against us using the symbol after all these years. Any ideas?
My guess is that it's really just a function of the internet. Years ago, if someone realized that Western's Anchor and Eagle logo had Rocky on it and they were unhappy about it, they'd tell a few friends, complain about it, that's about it. Now, they can start an online petition, use Facebook, Twitter, etc. to spread it to all of their friends, who then share it in other online forums and it just keeps growing. In many ways, it can be a good thing, but there are also downsides.

That being said, if there's a large group of actual Marines who are opposed to/offended by our use of that version of the logo, then I think that we should respect that and "retire" it. I can't find the actual online petition, so I can't tell how many people signed it, but it's possible that even if it was a small amount, word might have gotten up to USMC higher-ups. This could have lead to a dialog with our administration about how best we can continue to respectfully utilize some of the USMC imagery as well as the nickname.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

A lot of questions here. Main one is who started the petition? It could have been by anyone, not necessarily one of the "high and tights" from the USMC faithful. Another question is this: If a few of the USMC were indeed offended by our use of the logo, would their feelings be the same if it had been proudly displayed front and center on ESPN Game Day a time or two? If the answer to this question is "No", then we know what we need to do now.
wiu712

I think that the problem is that we had permission to use the USMC Insignia (the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor).

But we altered it by putting the bulldog head on the Globe.

That was a mistake on our part.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote:I think that the problem is that we had permission to use the USMC Insignia (the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor).

Agree 100% wiu712. We took a copyrighted logo and altered it. Major no-no in legal terms, but in our graphic arrogance, we did it anyway.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:I think that the problem is that we had permission to use the USMC Insignia (the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor).

You probably nailed it, 712. I think the real lesson to be learned here is that having to manage and maintain two or more of anything that serve the same purpose will ultimately kill you in the long run. I learned that painful lesson in my software development career.

IMO, the new AD should consider a total re-branding of the program if for no other reason than it would generate a little publicity for students, alumni, and friends of the university.

Only occasionally does this kind of thing work out well:
[youtube][/youtube]
Neckfansince71

In reality, the real reason is that no such agreement on paper could be found either by the Marine Corp or the university. Besides that, the individuals involved in the agreement if it were verbal are now long gone. End of story!!! I would like to draw your attention to the Marine Corp General who is currently number one in the nation's intelligence department. He happens to be a Western graduate and former football player! I don't see the universities involvement with the Marine Corp going away anytime soon. In fact, look for more cooperation and involvement in the near future. I mean, we do have one of the top 3 LEJA schools in the nation!!!

Hope to see some of you tomorrw at the Leatherneck Club reception at the Macomb Country Club, and on the fairways on Monday for the Leatherneck Golf Outing. ;) jc