Future Football Schedules

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:57 am
jtrinaldi wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:58 am I saw that the EIU game in Macomb has been posted on Twitter for October 12. Anyone know when the new conference schedule will be released ?

I think the departure of Robert Morris from the Big South has thrown a little bit of a wrench into things. Either they have to re-shuffle the conference schedule a little bit, or the teams that were scheduled to play RMU next year will have to find someone to fill that spot.

I guess I missed something 

Robert Morris was a member of the Big South, playing football in the OVC/Big South Association: https://bigsouthovcfootball.com/
Next year's conference schedule had already been put together so that schools could start planning their events (like Homecoming) but it hadn't been released publicly yet.

In late November, it was announced that RMU would be moving football (back) to the NEC: https://rmucolonials.com/news/2023/11/2 ... eason.aspx
RMU plays most of the rest of their sports in the Horizon League.

On that tentative schedule, most of the OVC/Big South teams (including Western) had RMU as a conference game in the second half of the season. That game is now a gap in the schedule.
Also, the way the schedule was, every team played every other team in the conference except for one (we were scheduled to skip Tennessee State).

So, the options now are to:
  1. Shuffle the conference schedule so that everyone plays everyone else and the gaps are filled OR
  2. Leave the gap for the individual schools to try to fill...during a time when most other conferences are solidly into conference games and probably won't have any open dates available.
My guess is that the conference is trying to figure out a schedule where everyone plays everyone else, but the already-scheduled big home games (everyone's Homecoming) are retained. As was mentioned before, we were scheduled to host EIU for our first Homecoming game in the OVC, and we've probably requested that they keep that in place. For Western, we currently have three open dates (9/21, 9/28, former RMU game), one of which will be a bye week.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
jtrinaldi

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:25 am
I think the departure of Robert Morris from the Big South has thrown a little bit of a wrench into things. Either they have to re-shuffle the conference schedule a little bit, or the teams that were scheduled to play RMU next year will have to find someone to fill that spot.

Robert Morris was a member of the Big South, playing football in the OVC/Big South Association: https://bigsouthovcfootball.com/
Next year's conference schedule had already been put together so that schools could start planning their events (like Homecoming) but it hadn't been released publicly yet.

In late November, it was announced that RMU would be moving football (back) to the NEC: https://rmucolonials.com/news/2023/11/2 ... eason.aspx

On that tentative schedule, most of the OVC/Big South teams (including Western) had RMU as a conference game in the second half of the season. That game is now a gap in the schedule.
Also, the way the schedule was, every team played every other team in the conference except for one (we were scheduled to skip Tennessee State).

1. Shuffle the conference schedule so that everyone plays everyone else and the gaps are filled OR
  2. Leave the gap for the individual schools to try to fill...during a time when most other conferences are solidly into conference games and probably won't have any open dates available.
My guess is that the conference is trying to figure out a schedule where everyone plays everyone else, but the already-scheduled big home games (everyone's Homecoming) are retained. As was mentioned before, we were scheduled to host EIU for our first Homecoming game in the OVC, and we've probably requested that they keep that in place. For Western, we currently have three open dates (9/21, 9/28, former RMU game), one of which will be a bye week.

Thank you for this breakdown. Didn’t realize that there was so many variables in play here.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:25 am

I guess I forgot they were leaving kinda sucks as that probably would have been a winnable game 

leatherneckcountry

leatherneckcountry

So we have a game against Mckendree
bignecks

a much needed game against Mckendree. I'll take a lame home game for a win at this point. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

bignecks wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:37 pm a much needed game against Mckendree. I'll take a lame home game for a win at this point.

Yup, we'll probably be 0-3 at that point, barring some upset against ILSU, and it'll be nice to break the losing streak (I hope) at home.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I am tentatively doing that Charleston Southern trip.  I visited a few years back.  Took in a baseball game on campus and bought my obligatory ball cap at their bookstore (I dont do that anymore because my collection got out of hand). But there is lots to do and dine on in that area.  Would also be a good bus trip for a large group of Leatherneck faithful.  IMHO, the AD needs to sponsor a bus trip (or a few seats on the player charter?) one weekend every season.  Same thing for the basketball season (Nashville would be a good one?).

Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Starting the season with 3 road games and then the BYE week.

First home game will be September 28 vs McKendree. 
jtrinaldi

Anyone know how much the payout from Indiana will be ? didnt see it listed here https://herosports.com/2024-fcs-vs-fbs-payouts-bzbz/