WIU at Coastal Carolina University (9/14/2015)

sealhall74

RedNeck wrote:Seal, until the 'Necks can start posting winning seasons the "Tailgating" is the main event (for students anyway).

Just reporting the facts Sir.
Facts respectfully received, RedNeck. However, this is a classic "Chicken and Egg" problem. Will we ever win with the culture currently in place? Let me throw another fact your way. The NDSU tailgating policy states this:

Tailgating ends 30 minutes prior to kickoff. <<<<< http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/g ... pdf?id=151

Our policy got the 30 minute part right but applies to after the game.

One of us is winning championships and one is not right now.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

When Western had tailgating in the Pit, it would end 15 minutes before kickoff.

You would see a mass entrance of people into Hanson Field when that occurred.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:When Western had tailgating in the Pit, it would end 15 minutes before kickoff.

You would see a mass entrance of people into Hanson Field when that occurred.
I think that's probably a good timeframe. I wish they'd bring that back. With as close as the lot is to the stadium and how quickly you can usually get in (especially if you already have a ticket), 15 minutes before kickoff gives you enough time to pack up most of your stuff from tailgating and make your way in by right around kickoff.

I know that tailgating has increased significantly since it was moved from the Pit to Q-lot, but I don't know if that's just from the more open location or what. My one worry is that there'd be people who want to go tailgate and drink and might head into the stadium at some point if they feel like it...if tailgating was closed at the start of the game, those people might not even choose to tailgate at all. Then again, there may not be too many of those people. I don't normally hang around tailgating enough to know for sure.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:15 minutes before kickoff gives you enough time to pack up most of your stuff from tailgating and make your way in by right around kickoff.
Former Western President Donald Spencer wanted people to be in their seats and ready to cheer when the team ran through the band tunnel right before kickoff.
sealhall74

The Auburn "War Eagle" tradition is guaranteed to get EVERYONE in their seat 15 minutes before kickoff. Could we come up with something similar? Probably, if we think long and hard enough about it. I will send Matt a letter suggesting a Revelry Alert 20 minutes before kickoff. It goes along with our Leatherneck heritage and could be the precursor to something much bigger. I am kicking myself now for not saying something about it on Saturday when I had his ear along with that of StudentPres for a brief time. ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

Might be worth having a student contest to generate ideas for possible new traditions.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:I will send Matt a letter suggesting a Revelry Alert 20 minutes before kickoff. It goes along with our Leatherneck heritage and could be the precursor to something much bigger.
Interesting idea. Perhaps this is something that could include The Marching Leathernecks.

The band marches down to the Tailgating area in Q-Lot approx. 30 minutes before the game to play the Fight Song, "Hot Time", and "Let's Go 'Necks".

Maybe Marching Leathernecks director Matt Thomas would be open to the idea of adding "Reveille".
WIU0812

Or they could just use the dang cannon they have like they used to and fire a round at beginning of game which notified the entire town.
sealhall74

Let me throw this one out for consideration. After the WIU Marching Band's playing of "Reveille" (thanks for correcting my misspelling, 712) at the 30 minute mark before kickoff, all of Leatherneck Nation heads to Hanson Field for Colonel Rock's ceremonial "Promotion to General" announcement at the 15 minute mark. The promotion announcement wording could even be tailored to whatever opponent we happen to facing that day or night.

[youtube][/youtube]
Tere North

Great idea sealhall74. Perhaps a student and a community member, each selected as an honorary captain, anointed with that rank in on-field pre-game ceremony, and receive a sideline pass for the day, with the broadcast announcement of the promotion and pinning of WIU captain's bars.
sealhall74

Including student(s) and local folk(s) in ceremony a very good idea. Another idea is to make it an awarding of the "The Purple Heart" (one of Rock's many medals of honor) instead of a promotion in rank. Lots of interesting possibilities here. I think the end of the official announcement needs to include a yell or cheer that everyone in the stands knows is coming:

"It is hereby declared that on this 15th day of November ... yatta yatta yatta ... GO LEATHERNECKS BEAT THE BISON" is a much too lame example

Whatever it is, it should be short, sweet, and very loud.

Maybe Reveille is not the right bugle call. If we can convince the VIPs to halt all tailgating before the game, Tatoo might be the proper bugle call to signal it, followed by a First Call and then an Assembly:

http://www.music.army.mil/music/buglecalls/

The Devil is in those details. All of this needs to be carefully orchestrated and immediately followed by the players returning to the field after receiving their final instructions from the coaches. Of course, the Band's playing of the National Anthem needs to be in there as well. No doubt there will be some occasions when the band and/or a live bugler is not present, so if it is to become any sort of tradition, we would always need a plan B:

http://www.ceremonialbugle.com/Products.htm