Southern Illinois Game

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Wanted to mention something that I love seeing (and that didn't happen back when I was in the marching band), is when the football team comes over to the band after a win and sings the fight song with the band. It's a great way to celebrate a victory and I know that it makes the band members feel like what they do matters to the football team. There was a video of them singing it going around facebook earlier, but I can't find it now, but here's a photo from the band's perspective:

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:Wanted to mention something that I love seeing (and that didn't happen back when I was in the marching band), is when the football team comes over to the band after a win and sings the fight song with the band. It's a great way to celebrate a victory and I know that it makes the band members feel like what they do matters to the football team.
The Team singing the Fight Song with Band was started by Marching Band Director Doug Phillips and Coach Don Patterson.

Here is a video of that from last year's final game of the season vs Indiana State. The singing begins at the 6:45 mark:

If anyone has a video from the Eastern Illinois or the Southern Illinois victories, please post them.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Found it, it was posted by the Western Courier:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'm sure most people saw this, but Brett Taylor was the MVFC Defensive Player of the Week and Nathan Knuffman was the MVFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Knuffman - because of the game-winning FG (as well as hitting 4-4 for XPs). I agree with most people who've posted about the special teams issues that it's a blocking scheme (or maybe execution) problem, not an issue with the kickers themselves. The game-winner (for anyone who didn't see it) was nearly blocked as well, but thankfully the guys coming around the side didn't quite get back to the middle fast enough.

Brett Taylor - because of 17 tackles (11 solo), a fumble recovery for TD, and a pass breakup that caused an INT. I must say that I'm impressed with how well Taylor has taken over the defensive leadership role, despite only being a sophomore. I think we'd seen signs of promise when he was asked to step up last year, but I was pretty worried after finding out that J.J. Raffleson wouldn't be able to come back and with Kintzel being done. It's nice to have another solid LB that we should have around for another two years.

http://goleathernecks.com/news/2015/10/ ... 50159.aspx
letsgonecks

Looks like Brett just got edged out for STATS FCS Defensive Player of the Week honors. He takes home Honorable Mention, so congrats to him.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS

You'll also notice ISUr's newly turned DE and one time WIU recruit, Brannon Barry picked up honorable mention Freshman of the week honors after also being named MVFC Newcomer of the week. Also mentioned in the valley write-up, but pretty cool to switch to a position you haven't practiced and get a sack your first play.....then add two more and a pick.
Necks2003

I was at that game with the big brawl at the end. That was hands down the craziest sporting event I have ever seen, and the sledge hammer being swung around is lucky to not have killed someone. The main incident started with Scifres missing a super long field goal to win the game in cold weather. He was laying on the ground after missing in dissappointment when a WKU thug came up and got into his face taunting him for no reason. WIU lineman backed him up and everything went crazy afterward.