Southern Illinois Game

sealhall74

Not saying this is currently our situation, but I could actually see a smart coach using two different punters, depending on field position and game situation. Currently there are two punting styles in use. The older style is that beautiful looking "spiral" kick that cuts thru the air, goes long, and tends to be aimed toward the sideline or coffin corner. The newer one is more of a rugby "pooch" kick that goes end over end with reverse spin, probably for no more than 40 yards and tends to not bounce forward too much if it does strike the ground. Having hacked around punting a little bit in my back yard as a teenager, I quickly learned that punting is a lot more art than science. I seriously doubt that most punters can excel at both styles, it is usually going to be one or the other. But you are right about the timing aspects. There need to be enough reps during the week to keep it all flowing smoothly, regardless who is doing the punting.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Game preview as seen on WGEM Sports with Ben Marth:
http://www.wgem.com/story/30168307/2015 ... n-illinois
WIU0812

I did/do not mean any insult and do not even know where you find our depth chart at, but I mean if they are same style player that is one thing, but as in most positions in sports there is different ways to play each position and these could be two different styles. They could even have one who was faster in case there is a chance they may want to run it if the snap is poor. There is so many things that factor into the use of a player sometimes it is all about the situation and you put a player who may not be as good of a punter, but has other qualities that could be unique to that situation. I do not defend our coaching as it is spotty for sure at times, but I think there is more to it than that and much bigger things to worry about at WIU than a "or" between two punters.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:I did/do not mean any insult and do not even know where you find our depth chart at, but I mean if they are same style player that is one thing, but as in most positions in sports there is different ways to play each position and these could be two different styles. They could even have one who was faster in case there is a chance they may want to run it if the snap is poor. There is so many things that factor into the use of a player sometimes it is all about the situation and you put a player who may not be as good of a punter, but has other qualities that could be unique to that situation. I do not defend our coaching as it is spotty for sure at times, but I think there is more to it than that and much bigger things to worry about at WIU than a "or" between two punters.
Depth chart is always part of the Team Notes that the AD puts out for each game. Buried kind of deep at page 16.

http://www.goleathernecks.com/documents ... f?#page=16

I am not 100% sure but I am guessing that an "OR" could also mean a game time decision based on some injury.
Embrace the pace of the race.
huskie

To get a big W tomorrow, we need a (BIG STUDENT CROWD, ALUMNI CROWD, an TOWN CROWD), GO LEATHERNECKS!
wiu712

Game Day forecast for Saturday:

Mostly sunny. 0% precip. High = 65. Humidity = 53%. Winds: NE at 15 mph.

Will be in the 50's in the morning for the Parade.

Will be 65 for the kickoff.

Will be 61 at halftime.

Will be 59 when the game ends.
rocki

huskie wrote:To get a big W tomorrow, we need a (BIG STUDENT CROWD, ALUMNI CROWD, an TOWN CROWD), GO LEATHERNECKS!
And we need the offense, defense, and special teams to show up ready to rock!
lovethenecks

812 wrote the below and again this is where I disagree, Good Teams have good special teams and bad teams have bad special teams. We are last in the MVFC the last 2 years because we don't work on the 3rd part of the game. This will be the difference between winning and losing 2-3 of the remaining games this year. Western has a tradition of very good Special Teams going back many years and as recently as Coach Hendersons last years, and our kicker left for Nebraska.

I do not defend our coaching as it is spotty for sure at times, but I think there is more to it than that and much bigger things to worry about at WIU than a "or" between two punters (812)
rocki

I think we got spoiled from having such good kickers for so long. I thought Langan was really good, and then he was followed up by Rowan. Those guys basically did not miss.
wiu712

rocki wrote:I think we got spoiled from having such good kickers for so long. I thought Langan was really good, and then he was followed up by Rowan. Those guys basically did not miss.
Have to add Mike Scifres to that list.