WIU at Illinois State (10/24/2015)

wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:I also walked in to Horton Field House for first time since Joe Dykstra et. al. faced off against Rick Lamb and Co. back in late 70s/early 80s.
The Concessions and Restrooms concourse behind the west stands of Hancock Stadium also served the same function when Horton Field House was the home of ISU basketball.

Someone had a clever idea to design the concourse in such a way that it could be used for both venues.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:I also walked in to Horton Field House for first time since Joe Dykstra et. al. faced off against Rick Lamb and Co. back in late 70s/early 80s.
The Concessions and Restrooms concourse behind the west stands of Hancock Stadium also served the same function when Horton Field House was the home of ISU basketball.

Someone had a clever idea to design the concourse in such a way that it could be used for both venues.
I had similar thoughts about the "as of yet ground to be really broken" PAC and a west side Hanson upgrade. They could really share heating/cooling infrastructure, ticket booths, office space and maybe even a WIU History/Leatherneck Hall of Fame concourse.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
wiu712 wrote:

I had similar thoughts about the "as of yet ground to be really broken" PAC and a west side Hanson upgrade. They could really share heating/cooling infrastructure, ticket booths, office space and maybe even a WIU History/Leatherneck Hall of Fame concourse.
Sharing facilities is a good idea, although I'm not sure it would work in this instance. The PAC (if ever built) is supposed to be south of Browne Hall, so it wouldn't really be close to the football stadium.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

The location of football field does not allow for sharing of facilities similar to that unless we removed a large chunk of quad for a new building. The location is just not ideal for that kind of use. They could do something with the new basketball arena and the north end of football field whenever those come to pass if they ever do.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

From a post in the YSU thread:

It's true we need to handle kick returns much better on both sides, but I think the biggest difference for ISU was just that they were able to make the big plays.

Specifically, they'd get to second or third down, somewhere around their own 35-40 yard line and they'd go long with receivers and hook up for a big gain and sometimes TD. At one point early in the 3rd quarter, ISU had just gotten to their 40, it was 2nd and 7 and my dad turned to me and said "this is right about where they go for a long one"....next play, ISU's WR Warrum goes long for a 45 yard pickup. That was the drive that ended in the fumble that was picked up by Warrum and walked into the end zone.

If you look at the plays that they scored on, many of them were "big" plays...here's all their scoring plays:
65 yard run, 9 yard run, 41 yard pass, 65 yard pass, 19 yard run, 0 yard fumble recovery, 83 yard run
More than half of their points came on plays that started over 40 yards away. Receivers just burned us and we had a lot of trouble tackling their QB and RB. But, they are one of the best running QBs and RBs in the FCS, so we knew it wasn't going to be easy.

Wind also played a big factor in field position, was coming in strong from the northwest and blowing towards the south through the stadium (you could see the ref's pants flapping most of the game). Seemed like more of our punts ended up having to go into the wind than theirs. I'll have to run the numbers and see this afternoon.
EDIT - ok, went through and checked when the punts and kickoffs happened, totaled up for each team how many were with the wind or against the wind. We had 8 kicks into the wind and 2 kicks with the wind. ISU had 7 kicks with the wind and 4 kicks against the wind, so I'm sure that helped somewhat. There were a couple of Luke Otto punts that were going ok but when they reach the top of the arc, just dropped like a rock. I think that was one in the 3rd that was fair caught after only going 33 yards. Otto had 5 punts with an average of 31.8 yards per punt and a long of 34.
rocki

Did LaChapelle get hurt Saturday? I thought I heard the announcers say he was taken out of the game after the first play, but I missed it and didn't know what happened. Haven't been able to find anything on it, either.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:Did LaChapelle get hurt Saturday? I thought I heard the announcers say he was taken out of the game after the first play, but I missed it and didn't know what happened. Haven't been able to find anything on it, either.
If he's the guy I'm thinking of, it was something with his ankle. He came off the field, they took his jersey and pads off and had him up on a table with a big pack of ice taped to the back of his ankle (he was on the sideline essentially right in front of where I was sitting). I don't believe he went back into the game at all, and I haven't heard anything about how badly it's hurt.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote:
rocki wrote:Did LaChapelle get hurt Saturday? I thought I heard the announcers say he was taken out of the game after the first play, but I missed it and didn't know what happened. Haven't been able to find anything on it, either.
If he's the guy I'm thinking of, it was something with his ankle. He came off the field, they took his jersey and pads off and had him up on a table with a big pack of ice taped to the back of his ankle (he was on the sideline essentially right in front of where I was sitting). I don't believe he went back into the game at all, and I haven't heard anything about how badly it's hurt.
Not taking anything away from ISU, but wonder (if it was the same guy) how that might have affected the defense. His name is heard pretty frequently on stops, and I don't know how much playing time the guy backing him up has.
huskie

LaChapelle is out for the remainder of the season.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Damn, that sucks. I could tell he was pretty hurt by the way he had his head down. I think he could tell it wasn't good.

LaChapelle is a Senior DE: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=14131
This season, he had 24 total tackles, 11 solo, 4.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, and 1 fumble recovery. He did play in 2 games last season, but did not tally any tackles that year.

In the depth chart, his backup is listed as Pete Swenson, a Redshirt Freshman: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?r ... h=football
He has played some this season, making 20 tackles, 1 solo, 2 tackles for loss and 1 sack

He doesn't have the weight advantage that LaChapelle has (230 lbs vs 265 lbs) but is 2 inches taller.