Season Opener at Wisconsin

wiu712

Western's Mens basketball team heads north to Madison, Wisconsin for their season-opening game this Friday, Nov. 13.

Western will meet #17 Wisconsin Badgers, who reached the NCAA National Championship game a season ago, inside the Kohl Center with tipoff slated for 8 p.m.

The game will air live on the Big Ten Network.

Junior guard Garret Covington's sister Anya Covington is an assistant coach for the Wisconsin women's basketball team and his other sister Aaliyah Covington is a sophomore guard at Saint Louis.

Western's newest assistant coach, Mark Vershaw, was a member Wisconsin's 2000 NCAA Final Four squad and became just the sixth forward in Big Ten history to register at least 1,000 points, 400 rebounds and 300 assists over a career.
Necks2003

It will be nice to see how our new "big" freshman look in their first real action. I am guessing there will be some growing pains along the way, but this will definitely be one of the more physical matchups for the season.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not to say we won't be seriously challenged by one of the best college basketball teams out there, but at least we don't have to deal with probably the best college BBall player last year, Frank "The Tank" Kaminsky.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

I'm pretty excited about this team. Good experience, good depth and some more size.

This will be a tough game, but don't believe Wisconsin is the 17th best team in the nation. Personally don't think they're top 25, but they very well could be since they have a lot of unknowns. They will be extremely well coached and disciplined, so to keep it close we'll have to limit the mistakes.

Think Gilbeck will be a great addition to this team and could potentially be a force in the Summit League. He'll be tested hard against WIS, Iowa and Creighton, but that should get him ready for league play. As long as he keeps his nerves under control he might do well tomorrow as they lack size down low and will likely be matching him initially with Happ a Rfr. Plus, he'll be going out to prove to Bo he screwed to pooch by not offering him in his own backyard. Be great to have someone bigs in to bang for boards with Tate who lacks the mass. Plus, could open up the inside out game that has lacked since TP.

Finally thought here is I'm glad this isn't a Mo vs Bo game from a few years ago. The final score would be 21 to 13!!!!!!!!!
wiu712

Preview of Friday's game as seen on WGEM Sports with Ben Marth:
http://www.wgem.com/story/30496699/2015 ... pen-season
sealhall74

I just watched the Gilbeck senior highlight reel. There is a lot to like there for sure. I have to think that even if he does not score big his first couple of years, he will really open things up for Garret et al from the perimeter. Hope springs eternal for this year and the next few.
Embrace the pace of the race.
cubsflag

wiu712 wrote:Preview of Friday's game as seen on WGEM Sports with Ben Marth:
http://www.wgem.com/story/30496699/2015 ... pen-season
what a great job billy wright is doing.
loyalfan

I will take this team, playing like this...all year long and take our chances!
sealhall74

Not quite physical enough around the rim to compete against these guys but overall, a pretty darn good half of basketball.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

I like what have seen, if they can stay healthy things are looking up