WIU vs South Dakota State (11/21/2015)

sealhall74

Not sure we have enough style points to get in, but good win and a good finish to the season if we dont get in.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

So let me see, 4-7, 5-7, and now after playing the toughest schedule in the FCS 6-5, (5-3 and tied for 3rd in the MVC), I would say that seems to be good enough at the moment! Would love to have the YSU game back but the past is the past! Enough said! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Back from the game (yes, I stayed all the way to the end). Got a lot to say, but I'm going to thaw out a bit first. Seemed like we were giving the game away at times, but thankfully came up with it in the end. First winning record since 2010.

Also, after the handshakes, a bunch of the team and coaches ran over to the hill north of the West stands, ran to the top and slid/rolled down in the snow. I've got photos and video I'll post later. Just a bunch of giddy, excited kids having fun.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Style points? it is 10 deg windy and wet. #5 team in the nation came in and Leathernecks handed them a loss.

Hey SDSU is ranked #5 and they didn't look as good as they have in the past either. Conditions were just awful.

I really am not a fan of these 11 game schedules. So we have to find a way to only have 4 losses when we play the BIG TEN....#1 ranked Coastal, a ranked EIU and the gauntlet that is the murders row MVFC playing at ranked #5 NDSU playing at Ranked #12 UNI and playing at ranked #3 ISU also playing #5 SDSU and #24 YSU.

WIU has the Hardest schedule in all of FCS football and are the #3 team in the toughest Conference in the land.
yokedneck

So happy for this team. Playoffs or not a strong finish to the year.

Tom
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
wiu712

WIU2DC wrote:Why isn't Norvell playing?
Trenton Norvell had appendectomy surgery last Friday (Nov 13).

sealhall74 wrote:Need to run the clock and you throw 3 passes. Hmmm?
You were not alone in questioning that series of play calls. Everyone sitting in the west stands was wondering the same thing. Those incomplete passes stopped the clock.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:Need to run the clock and you throw 3 passes. Hmmm?
You were not alone in questioning that series of play calls. Everyone sitting in the west stands was wondering the same thing. Those incomplete passes stopped the clock.
Everyone in the east stands who were Leatherneck fans as well (I think that was just my mom and myself though). When they tried to pass, I mentioned to her..."why aren't they running...it was working...run until it stops working, especially if you're trying to eat the clock". Then later, after SDSU got the ball back, I mentioned that even if we hadn't gotten anywhere, they'd still have a minute or so less time to work with. Considering they got that last TD with 1:35 left on the clock, it's entirely possible they would have run out of time (or thrown more..different playcalling...might have had a better chance at another INT). I don't know...maybe the coaching staff saw something that they thought they could take advantage of...I never played or coached football, so I'm no expert. Just didn't seem like the smart call at the time...feels like we could have won it outright without having to deal with OT if we'd just kept running.

Oh well...we still won...so that's nice.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:I mentioned that even if we hadn't gotten anywhere, they'd still have a minute or so less time to work with.
If we had gained a few more yards (instead of the 3 incomplete passes), perhaps our field goal attempt would not have been blocked. That would have put us ahead by 10 points.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:I mentioned that even if we hadn't gotten anywhere, they'd still have a minute or so less time to work with.
If we had gained a few more yards (instead of the 3 incomplete passes), perhaps our field goal attempt would not have been blocked. That would have put us ahead by 10 points.
Yup. Any forward progress from where we were would have given us a MUCH better chance of at least putting some points on the board...whether that's actually scoring a TD, or just putting us in a better position to hit the FG. And all scenarios would have taken more time off the board, giving SDSU less time to conduct their game-tying drive.
lovethenecks

Here is the breakdown, looks like we spoiled the day for Rabbits, but not enough. Hopefully he is wrong

Sun, 11/22/2015

Last Four In: Eastern Illinois, Fordham, New Hampshire, North Dakota

First Four Out: Western Illinois, Towson, Northern Arizona, Liberty

The 24-team playoff field is set – at least the projected field – now that the regular season has come to a close. Ten automatic berths have gone out along with 14 at-large bids. The auto bids are as follows: Southern Utah, Charleston Southern, Richmond, North Dakota State, Duquesne, Jacksonville State, Colgate, Dayton, Chattanooga and McNeese State.

The biggest suspense this year comes in the top eight seeds. Jacksonville State is the obvious No. 1, but after that, it gets a little dicey, particularly with South Dakota State losing to Western Illinois on Saturday. The Jackrabbits had to negotiate difficult weather conditions just to get to WIU, but the loss likely cost them a top seed.

The four primary bubble teams likely to be disappointed Sunday morning when their names aren’t called are Western Illinois, Towson, Northern Arizona and Liberty.

Western Illinois (6-5) beat three likely playoff teams this year: Eastern Illinois, Northern Iowa and South Dakota State. However, it’s difficult to take a team with five losses. Towson (7-4), the 2013 national runner-up, won five of its last six games, but an early season loss to Elon (among others) doomed its chances. Northern Arizona (7-4) lost to Montana and Southern Utah and didn’t meet Portland State this fall. A loss to UC-Davis really hurt while Liberty (6-5) has to be disappointed with victories over Coastal Carolina and Montana. But the Flames lost to Southern Illinois, Gardner-Webb, Monmouth, Charleston Southern and West Virginia.

The FCS tournament bracket will be announced beginning at 11 a.m. Sunday (Nov. 22) on ESPNU.