HC from lower division
22%
Asst/Coord from other Div. I
67%
Someone else (feel free to comment)
11%

Total votes: 9
rocki

Leatherneck57 wrote:We won't have to wait around a month...this will happen quickly with the number of applicants. I've been told within the next 2 weeks.

The players will just have to be patient...they have way too much talent coming back not to stay put and remain positive. This current team is loaded and built to win! Where are they going to go? Down a division? Play lessor competition? Move up and lose a year of eligibility? Most can't afford to do that! I would much rather play the toughest schedule in FCS!!!

If they sit tight they won't be dissappointed. And I can promise you that all we'll be talking about this time next year and after a very successful season is how we kicked The Coyotes and Bob Nielson's ass just like we have the last 3 years!!!

Former Neck
That is good news!!! I guess I didn't realize there were that many applicants, let alone quality ones. Can't wait to see who we get to call our next HC!!
Leatherneck57

Being a former player I am very disappointed for what happened this week and it was embbarrassing to the university, the players and the football program. VP Biller over stepped his authority and did something he had no business doing...promising the the HC job to Coach Yelk. I feel sorry for Tyler and any of his family that made the trip to attend the press conference. VP Biller should be dismissed from his duties.

I was close with a lot of Nielson's staff and thought they did a nice job but one person doesn't define this program..we have way too much history. I get the taking more money thing but I feel as though Bob slapped us in our face by making a latteral move in the same conference. If you listened to Bob's press confereence he wanted to be a part of the vision at SD. Well hell, they just broke ground on a new basketball arena then they have to build a track and field complex and then a soccer complex. That "VISION" of new coaches offices, meeting rooms, locker rooms and stadium renovations is 5-6 years away. Bob may not be there then! If you take the roof off that dome you have no more than a glorified high school field. Even Bob said he will miss playing outside on brisk fall days...

I have been in touch with about 70 former players this week and they are all chiming in with athletic administration and even including President Thomas offering recommendations on selecting a coach. There is also some retirred football alumni that have formed a task force to research a building foundation to renovate the west side of the stadium. There are meetings taking place in Chicago next week...so we have things stirring but it will take time.

I donated to the current locker room and was proud to do so as did a bunch of other alums. At the time it was built it was state of the art and FBS players that transferreed in even said their locker room wasn't that nice. So eventually we'll get it done but let's not forget the state isn't helping either by not settling on a budget!

I am pleading with all current players, their famlies and fans to be patient and give this new HC and his staff a chance to put their plan in to action. You'll see...we'll be a better football team and our program will be in great shape! Let's not forget we've had more players in the NFL than ANY other FCS school in the country and it wasn't because of the stadium!

There has been a lot of sweat left on Hanson Field...when I played our locker room and weight room was a block house next to the stadium. But that didn't keep me from playing my heart out every Saturday or getting stronger...it was because I played with pride...I was a Leatherneck! Always have been...always will be!

Former Neck
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:What makes everyone think Heck is out of picture? Wouldn't a FCS HC job in the Valley be better than an assistant FBS job? He might apply for this one too and jump ship if offered.
Kinda depends on his contract with Illinois. If he's already signed it, and it includes a penalty or buyout for taking off early, then it could be pretty tricky (and expensive) to get him...and that's even if he wants the position. If he was keeping tabs on coaching opportunities, especially in the Illinois area, I'm sure he was aware that we had the open position.

Leatherneck57 wrote:We won't have to wait around a month...this will happen quickly with the number of applicants. I've been told within the next 2 weeks.

The players will just have to be patient...they have way too much talent coming back not to stay put and remain positive. This current team is loaded and built to win! Where are they going to go? Down a division? Play lessor competition? Move up and lose a year of eligibility? Most can't afford to do that! I would much rather play the toughest schedule in FCS!!!

If they sit tight they won't be dissappointed. And I can promise you that all we'll be talking about this time next year and after a very successful season is how we kicked The Coyotes and Bob Nielson's ass just like we have the last 3 years!!!

Former Neck
That's what I'm thinking. If we've already got a large number of applicants...and we already know that at least a few of them are fairly solid candidates...then when the search committee is "convened" early next week, they should be able to get right to work going through applications, figuring out who the top candidates are. If they can get the top few in for interviews before Christmas, or early the week afterwards, they could very possibly make a decision and announce a new HC by January 1st.

I hope that, for the most part, the players just go home, spend some quality time with their families, relax a bit, and when they come back to school on January 19th, we have our coaching staff pretty much set and they've already started getting out there recruiting.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck57

We currently have over 100 applicants and probably even more since this morning!

Former Neck
rocki

Thanks, Leatherneck57. Good to hear of the things going on with the former players!!! I'm sure their involvement is a huge help.

Your insights have been a really bright spot for me. Thanks again!
Necks2003

rocki wrote:Thanks, Leatherneck57. Good to hear of the things going on with the former players!!! I'm sure their involvement is a huge help.

Your insights have been a really bright spot for me. Thanks again!
I agree. And when you set up the foundation be sure to let this forum get involved.
leatherhead

Leatherneck57 wrote: If you listened to Bob's press confereence he wanted to be a part of the vision at SD. Well hell, they just broke ground on a new basketball arena then they have to build a track and field complex and then a soccer complex. That "VISION" of new coaches offices, meeting rooms, locker rooms and stadium renovations is 5-6 years away.

Former Neck
I think there basketball arena will be done this spring, the track & field complex is done, they are hosting the Summit championship there in the the spring and there soccer field is done also.

The football stuff will be up next according to the press conference. So the "vision" might be a lot sooner than you think.
Leatherneck57

It could be but at this point who cares? The Bob Nielson era has come to an end. It's like a relationship...if one party doesn't want to be in it then it'll never work. So why try? One party will never be happy.

Trust me...we will be a much better program with the new regime. Our program will remain strong because we have some very influential people involved including former NFL players for our program to fail. The right decisions will be made for a new coach and everyone will be happy and eventually we will have the funds to improve the stadium that the players and fans will be proud of. We have plans, renderings and scheduled meetings for improvements in place...but until then we play hard nosed Leatherneck football with pride, compassion and the for love of the game!!

Former Neck
BobLovely

I like this thinking and attitude!

Bob
sealhall74

LN57, I also like your attitude but do those plans come with a timeline? If not, lets not be showing them to recruits and making promises we cant keep. Just be upfront and get good kids in here who desire to play tough Leatherneck football in the best FCS conference in the land for the love of the game like you said. That recipe always works IMO.
Embrace the pace of the race.