Fisher named as head coach

ibleedpurpleandgold

ST_Lawson wrote:For those who are curious:

[tweet]686692036804775936[/tweet]
So about 20,000 less than Nielsen even though I'm sure there are bonuses just like Nielsen.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ibleedpurpleandgold wrote:So about 20,000 less than Nielsen even though I'm sure there are bonuses just like Nielsen.
Likely. I tweeted at Ben Marth to see if he knew any details on the bonuses. I would imagine it's a similar bonus structure though.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LeatherCy

Coach Nielson had a base of $216,000 with incentives for making the playoffs, winning first round game and MVC COY he as around $250,000. Yelk had agreed to $180,000 which Jackie Thomas signed off on the day before Affirmative Action stuck their nose in it. Western's first offer to Tyler was $160,000.
Leatherneck57

LeatherCy wrote:Coach Nielson had a base of $216,000 with incentives for making the playoffs, winning first round game and MVC COY he as around $250,000. Yelk had agreed to $180,000 which Jackie Thomas signed off on the day before Affirmative Action stuck their nose in it. Western's first offer to Tyler was $160,000.
Come on brother, Coach Yelk wasn't worth $160,000 let a lone $180,000. I liked Tyler but his Defense gave up a lot of points and could never shut down opponents in the 4th quarter. Case in point...the two Illinois State games. Plus he was the Special Teams coach...we suffered in that department horribly!! I believe Coach Ash mentioned were were like 115th in the nation during his forum. Our special teams were never very good under Nielson's direction.

I received some information stating that Yelk and Moose didn't get along and he only planned on keeping Prevost...who was only making $16,900 REALLY? How do you survive on that? And only coached TE's (which we only used in short yardage situations), Ted (who was ok...not very social), Atiba (who I really liked), Watson who's corners got torched several times throughout the year and especially in the Illinois State contests and Crutchley...whom I liked. Coach Blazek was out of here regardless and so was Moose.

I don't think the above group has the experience to take over this program and be successful in the Missouri Valley. Coach Yelk in my opinion got in Gary Biller's ear and sold him on the fact that he could keep the current level of talent happy and retain some of the current staff...so there would be little disruption and players would remain somewhat happy. That's a bandaid friends. We were very fortunate that affirmative action got involved as I guess Biller overstepped his boundaries way too much as evident in his firing last Friday.

Matt Tanney did a great job in HIS process of hiring a new coach and I believe Coach Fisher is a fantastic hire and because of his experience as a coach at all levels and he will be better for our entire athletic program and university as a poster coach. He'll be someone you will want to talk to potential big money boosters and selling our program...I just didn't see Coach Yelk in that role.

Because of his connections as a coach for 34 years and his knowledge on how programs are run (large and small) he will be a better recruiter, a better teacher of the game, he will hold our players accountable in the classroom and community, he will help us raise more money for the university and athletic programs as a spokesperson. There is more to running a program than going to the Sports Corner and having a few beers with some of the people you know...you have to get out in the community and win over the long time business owners in the community. Which includes the clothing store owners, restaurant owners to the grain elevator owners...and I truly believe Coach Fisher is that poster coach and will do well with everyone he comes in contact with.

I truly believe Coach Fisher will be here for a long time...maybe even retire as coach here. I watched his and Nielson's press conferences again last night and I hear passion in his voice and he even stated...head coaching jobs are hard to come by and that this is a program he wants to be in. He said he going to be 57....he has 3 or 4 very successful years here I don't see many big time college programs hiring 60-61 year old head coaches. I can truly see him grooming one of his assistants to take over when he retires from coaching. It's all good!

Former Neck
lovethenecks

I agree that not hiring Yelk was fantastic move. As they always say you are worth what the market is willing to pay. I would bet that Yelk is not going to be paid more that $80,000 at South Dakota. For all the reasons Leatherneck 57 said regarding his performance he was not qualified to be Head Coach. We got a huge upgrade in Fisher from Bob N. let alone Tyler Y.
LWE2012

I'm very close with one of the WIU players and he told me that if Yelk would've got the job players were gonna protest or leave the program. Their reason was Yelk had an issue with players as well some other coaches on how he communicated. The player stated Yelk spoke with an attitude like he was the smartest person in the room.
LocalYokelFan

Leatherneck57 wrote:
LeatherCy wrote:Coach Nielson had a base of $216,000 with incentives for making the playoffs, winning first round game and MVC COY he as around $250,000. Yelk had agreed to $180,000 which Jackie Thomas signed off on the day before Affirmative Action stuck their nose in it. Western's first offer to Tyler was $160,000.
Come on brother, Coach Yelk wasn't worth $160,000 let a lone $180,000. I liked Tyler but his Defense gave up a lot of points and could never shut down opponents in the 4th quarter. Case in point...the two Illinois State games. Plus he was the Special Teams coach...we suffered in that department horribly!! I believe Coach Ash mentioned were were like 115th in the nation during his forum. Our special teams were never very good under Nielson's direction.

I received some information stating that Yelk and Moose didn't get along and he only planned on keeping Prevost...who was only making $16,900 REALLY? How do you survive on that? And only coached TE's (which we only used in short yardage situations), Ted (who was ok...not very social), Atiba (who I really liked), Watson who's corners got torched several times throughout the year and especially in the Illinois State contests and Crutchley...whom I liked. Coach Blazek was out of here regardless and so was Moose.

I don't think the above group has the experience to take over this program and be successful in the Missouri Valley. Coach Yelk in my opinion got in Gary Biller's ear and sold him on the fact that he could keep the current level of talent happy and retain some of the current staff...so there would be little disruption and players would remain somewhat happy. That's a bandaid friends. We were very fortunate that affirmative action got involved as I guess Biller overstepped his boundaries way too much as evident in his firing last Friday.

Matt Tanney did a great job in HIS process of hiring a new coach and I believe Coach Fisher is a fantastic hire and because of his experience as a coach at all levels and he will be better for our entire athletic program and university as a poster coach. He'll be someone you will want to talk to potential big money boosters and selling our program...I just didn't see Coach Yelk in that role.

Because of his connections as a coach for 34 years and his knowledge on how programs are run (large and small) he will be a better recruiter, a better teacher of the game, he will hold our players accountable in the classroom and community, he will help us raise more money for the university and athletic programs as a spokesperson. There is more to running a program than going to the Sports Corner and having a few beers with some of the people you know...you have to get out in the community and win over the long time business owners in the community. Which includes the clothing store owners, restaurant owners to the grain elevator owners...and I truly believe Coach Fisher is that poster coach and will do well with everyone he comes in contact with.

I truly believe Coach Fisher will be here for a long time...maybe even retire as coach here. I watched his and Nielson's press conferences again last night and I hear passion in his voice and he even stated...head coaching jobs are hard to come by and that this is a program he wants to be in. He said he going to be 57....he has 3 or 4 very successful years here I don't see many big time college programs hiring 60-61 year old head coaches. I can truly see him grooming one of his assistants to take over when he retires from coaching. It's all good!

Former Neck
Dude -- We've all gotten behind your boy, Fisher; can you get off Yelk and the old staff? They turned a "heaping pile" into a very competitive team that was only going to get better in future years. You don't need to speculate and tell us that staff wouldn't have gotten us anywhere just like myself and others don't need to speculate the demise of the program.

I think a few of us around here have done a good job parsing our lips while we let Fisher do his thing, and hopefully, do it really, really well. Don't drag us back into the mud LN57!!!
LocalYokelFan

One other thing -- I just want to give 2 examples of 2 coaches, and I know there are MANY more, that also are not "personable" or "sociable" that do alright for their respective teams and programs. Bill Belichick and Nick Saban. 'Nuff said. Wins put people in seats, advertisements on stadiums, eyeballs on TVS, and money in pockets. Charming personality, public speaking ability, and being sociable are all well and good, but I'd much rather just go with the "WIN BABY WIN" philosophy.
ibleedpurpleandgold

LocalYokelFan wrote:
Leatherneck57 wrote:

Former Neck
Dude -- We've all gotten behind your boy, Fisher; can you get off Yelk and the old staff? They turned a "heaping pile" into a very competitive team that was only going to get better in future years. You don't need to speculate and tell us that staff wouldn't have gotten us anywhere just like myself and others don't need to speculate the demise of the program.

I think a few of us around here have done a good job parsing our lips while we let Fisher do his thing, and hopefully, do it really, really well. Don't drag us back into the mud LN57!!!
I don't get why your so in love with a defensive coach who's defense struggled to stop a nose bleed especially on the ground.
ibleedpurpleandgold

LocalYokelFan wrote:One other thing -- I just want to give 2 examples of 2 coaches, and I know there are MANY more, that also are not "personable" or "sociable" that do alright for their respective teams and programs. Bill Belichick and Nick Saban. 'Nuff said. Wins put people in seats, advertisements on stadiums, eyeballs on TVS, and money in pockets. Charming personality, public speaking ability, and being sociable are all well and good, but I'd much rather just go with the "WIN BABY WIN" philosophy.
How many seats did Nielsen fill by winning games that's right 7,000 if lucky it's proven that just because you are successful on the field means nothing if you are not liked @ WIU.