Fisher named as head coach

Necks2003

ST_Lawson wrote:
W1U wrote: I have enjoyed your posts here and find your insight to be a very unique perspective. I would not leave the site over this.

Pretty much everybody here loves this school and wants nothing but the best for the program. I essentially agree with your take on this issue as do most others I assume.
Exactly. Don't leave because of one or two people's opinions. You've had some great input in the short time you've been on the site, and I'd hate to see that disappear.

Despite what a few people may say, you can be assured that the people who run this site love Western, love Leatherneck Athletics, and especially love Leatherneck Football...and that's never going to change.
I concur and appreciate your insight LN57. Some people are always going to be against college athletics. They are entitled to their own opinions. The rest of us can simply agree to disagree.
huskie

Leatherneck 57 please keep posting, I enjoy your updates.
MSUBooster

I've only been on this board a few times; your insight and contributions are worthwhile and important to keep this board well informed and having things to discuss. As a member of Bobcatnation.com for over 10 years I can tell you I too get frustrated with false/bad information and people who take stands without doing any research to back up their point; that said....it still happens. So hopefully you step back, take a breath and realize in today environment people think they have to have an opinion about everything... even if they don't know a darn thing.
I'll leave you with this quote:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be
indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
-- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Leatherneck57

brewer2125 wrote:
rocki wrote:
Some of us remember more than just the past decade - back to when WIU football was premier football.
We'd like to see it get back to that level, and if this guy is the kind who can get people interested in it again, more power to him.
I do get a completely different vibe from him than I did Nielson - this guy definitely strikes me as more personable

I recall way back when too. Actually, Frank Winters (Packers' center for 15 years) was the very first student that I met on campus and he lived across the hall from me on the 5th floor of Thompson. But back then they weren't cutting programs, either, to keep the football program on a ventilator. To me, that is very disturbing. WIU has cut (and may be looking to cut) other programs to keep a very expensive (and generally losing or around .500 record) program afloat at the expense of other, far less costly programs, and where the football program does absolutely nothing to increase the prestige or enrollment of the university.

And I am not sure you can really say with a straight face that the WIU football program is, or was ever, a "premier" football program. Since WIU first participated in a football conference in 1915, 100 years ago, WIU has won just 10 conference championships outright (it shared the championship three other times) and appeared in post season play just 11 times (the NCAA began Division II playoffs in 1973). WIU did appear in 3 Corn Bowls back in the 1940's and 50's and played against "powerhouses" like Wheaton College and Luther College. Since the NFL draft first began in 1936, WIU has had 28 players drafted in those 79 years.

What all of this means is that, on average, WIU will win its conference 1 time every 10 years, will appear in post season play about once every 4 years, and will produce an NFL draft quality player (not necessarily a player that will actuallyplay in the NFL) about once every 3 to 4 years. That record is not "premier" by any standards.

The current football coaching salaries combined are in excess of $700,000. The salaries of the coaches of ALL of the WIU womens' teams COMBINED total about $400,000. The cost of running the football program, given that there are some 80-plus members of the team, plus coaches, is likely exponentially higher than any other sport, and likely dwarfs all womens' sports combined. Even though the football program BARELY has a .500 record over its existence (.529), the school is cutting other programs... To me, that is absurd. Many, many division I schools have cut football, and maintained their enrollments and have produced other quality sports programs. I can send you a list if you would like... If WIU cut football, other program would stand to benefit greatly, enrollment would not dive, nor would the reputation of WIU academically and, after a year or two, no one would notice or care, in my opinion.

Contrary to what some people may think, the typical college student doesn't select a school because of the football team (and especially a football team that on average produces a .500 record). A recent UCLA survey lists the top 23 reasons identified by college students as being "very important" for choosing a college. Athletics was ranked 18th, and then was only listed as being very important when the student was offered an athletic scholarship. In case you want to see the list, here is it:

1. College has very good academic reputation (63.8 percent)
2. This college's graduates get good jobs (55.9 percent)
3. I was offered financial assistance (45.6 percent)
4. The cost of attending this college (43.3 percent)
5. A visit to this campus (41.8 percent)
6. College has a good reputation for its social activities (40.2 percent)
7. Wanted to go to a college about this size (38.8 percent)
8. College's grads get into top grad/professional schools (32.8 percent)
9. The percentage of students that graduate from this college (30.4 percent)
10. I wanted to live near home (20.1 percent)
11. Information from a website (18.7 percent)
12. Rankings in national magazines (18.2 percent)
13. Parents wanted me to go to this school (15.1 percent)
14. Admitted early decision and/or early action (13.7 percent)
15. Could not afford first choice (13.4 percent)
16. High school counselor advised me (10.3 percent)
17. Not offered aid by first choice (9.5 percent)
18. Athletic department recruited me (8.9 percent)
19. Attracted by the religious affiliation/orientation of college (7.4 percent)
20. My relatives wanted me to come here (6.8 percent)
20. My teacher advised me (6.8 percent)
22. Private college counselor advised me (3.8 percent)
23. Ability to take online courses (3.2 percent)

That's my two cents.....
Brewer2125 I now know who you are...I too just like you are a huge AJ Blazek fan and rallied boosters and football alumni from Macomb and Chicago to voice their support for him. I asked that anyone with connections with board members please reach out to them and get them on board. I really was hoping he would get/take the job but unfortunately things didn't work out. I was even sending out "Stay Calm and Blazek On" to everyone I texted...

AJ was well liked by the football alumni, players and community. When you met him you loved him...he was that kind of guy! He always went out of his way to make us feel welcome and glad we were back. I spoke with AJ several times about him staying here and he really wanted to but felt things were being rushed and he just didn't feel comfortable.

I called him when he was sitting on the plane coming back from Rutgers and he shared his plans if he stayed with me about some of the assistants he would keep and some he would bring in. That weekend he texted me saying that he had time to consider everything but his gut and heart was calling him to Rutgers. Things were happening too fast and those things don't usually work out.

So with that being said I doubt we would have had some of the heated communications we had today and you wouldn't have shared your thoughts on our University's financial situation or that football should be dropped etc. etc. had Coach Blazek taken the job.

I have personally met Coach Fisher and have talked with him on the phone and this man will do great things for our program, university and in the community. He has all of my support as well as many boosters, football alumni and the players will play hard for him. We are turning the page and ready to begin a NEW chapter of Leatherneck Football!!! Once a Neck always a Neck!!

No hard feelings here brewer2125...all is good!!!
LocalYokelFan

I will fully admit it, I like a little discourse and disagreement! I think WIU and Leatherneck athletics face great challenges, but therein lies great opportunity! I think tough discussions and disagreement can help pave the way to a better future for the University, athletics program, and community.

I was able to make it to Coach Fisher's press conference yesterday and I am excited about his plan moving forward, his successful coaching experiences, and his enthusiasm for this opportunity. My three biggest take-a-ways: 1) It's been a long time since he last had his Head Coaching opportunity and he's really excited to have another shot at it, 2) He wants everybody's support -- football alumni, alumni, students, faculty, and the community -- and I think he's very sincere about that, 3) This is a football thought from an admittedly limited experienced football mind, but I liked how he said he'd build the roster primarily from high school recruits. That just seems to be the right way to go to me.

So, I go back to what I said on December 15th... I'm planning on upping my LC membership by a level this year. I'm also going to try to recruit one or more new LC members. I encourage everyone else to do so as well. No matter what we agree or disagree on in a forum like this, I think we can all agree that the more we all can pitch in and help, the brighter the future for Leatherneck athletics will be. Best wishes to YOU ALL!
brewer2125

LocalYokelFan wrote:I will fully admit it, I like a little discourse and disagreement! I think WIU and Leatherneck athletics face great challenges, but therein lies great opportunity! I think tough discussions and disagreement can help pave the way to a better future for the University, athletics program, and community.

I was able to make it to Coach Fisher's press conference yesterday and I am excited about his plan moving forward, his successful coaching experiences, and his enthusiasm for this opportunity. My three biggest take-a-ways: 1) It's been a long time since he last had his Head Coaching opportunity and he's really excited to have another shot at it, 2) He wants everybody's support -- football alumni, alumni, students, faculty, and the community -- and I think he's very sincere about that, 3) This is a football thought from an admittedly limited experienced football mind, but I liked how he said he'd build the roster primarily from high school recruits. That just seems to be the right way to go to me.

So, I go back to what I said on December 15th... I'm planning on upping my LC membership by a level this year. I'm also going to try to recruit one or more new LC members. I encourage everyone else to do so as well. No matter what we agree or disagree on in a forum like this, I think we can all agree that the more we all can pitch in and help, the brighter the future for Leatherneck athletics will be. Best wishes to YOU ALL!

Count me in. And following up on your excellent comments, I strongly urge everyone - even 57 - to try to stop by a baseball game, a tennis or volleyball match, or a track meet once in a while and show those kids that ALL Leathernecks who bust their butts wearing our colors ARE important....
brewer2125

LN57 - all good here too. The handshake is appreciated and reciprocated....go Necks.!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Interview with Coach Fisher from WGEM Sports Radio
[soundcloud]240669631[/soundcloud]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Coach Fisher has passion and wears it on his sleeve.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfanfromafar

Tere North wrote:
Leatherneck57 wrote: Oh...I almost forgot to mention that I just donated about $8000 worth of interactive equipment for the football office so the coaches can do their jobs better during film sessions, meetings etc. and I will be training the entire staff when the installation is completed.

I can drop of this site if you don't find my information valuable or if you feel it lacks truth but I think most will find what I offer is better than most.

Former Neck
Thanks Leatherneck57, and please don't drop off this board. I love hearing your input. And thanks for that donation, too :D
Leathernecks57 is MOST appreciated-- very realistic and positive and forward- thinking thoughts!!!!