What it took then. What it takes now!

Neckfansince71

As a college basketball fan and former high school player, I was able to watch and experience the "UCLA Dynasty" as I grew up. As a high school coach I also took to heart the basic ideals taught by Coach Wooden about life. Take a look if you have the the chance at "Outside the Lines"' with Coach Wooden and 6 of his players as they talk about their experiences at UCLA. I am amazed that Coach Wooden dealt with his 12 players individually but expected his team to act as "one!" You know there's times when I forget how magical basketball was for me and this utube video brought it all back. I am proud to say that I coached a team that was a game away from the state tournament. We won 24 games that year. Looking back, I think if my wife had been coach, we would have won 25! Got to appreciate the job Coach Wright and staff are doing in this time of "me first and my game!" ;) jc
sealhall74

My favorite story about Coach Wooden is the one about the shoes and socks. Very first lesson he always taught his players was how to put on the socks and lace up the shoes. I appreciate it even more because I always struggled with blisters on the bottom of feet during opening of football and basketball seasons. I am a lot smarter these days, knowing that cotton socks and perspiration is a sure-fire recipe for blisters. Just a couple years ago, I even learned all about that "heel lock" that most athletic shoes come with today. Having a narrower foot than most people, it is a game changer for me. An added plus, I no longer have that extra 4-5 inches of shoe lace to do something with. Lesson learned is that the smallest of details make all the difference. Thank you coach W. Applies to tying shoes, sticking picks, and pivoting off your pick.

[youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:My favorite story about Coach Wooden is the one about the shoes and socks. Very first lesson he always taught his players was how to put on the socks and lace up the shoes. I appreciate it even more because I always struggled with blisters on the bottom of feet during opening of football and basketball seasons. I am a lot smarter these days, knowing that cotton socks and perspiration is a sure-fire recipe for blisters. Just a couple years ago, I even learned all about that "heel lock" that most athletic shoes come with today. Having a narrower foot than most people, it is a game changer for me. An added plus, I no longer have that extra 4-5 inches of shoe lace to do something with. Lesson learned is that the smallest of details make all the difference. Thank you coach W. Applies to tying shoes, sticking picks, and pivoting off your pick.
Bought my first real running shoes maybe 4-5 years ago at a running-specific shoe store and the guy who worked with me showed me how to tie my shoes like that. I've been doing it like that ever since. Works great.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
cubsflag

almost every player, who ever played for wooden,gives him credit for being able to tie their own shoes.i guess before wooden the coaches,or trainers, tied the players shoes,so i been told.