Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

From State Representative Norine Hammond's office:

State House Representative Norine Hammond was among the legislators who voted to pass the state budget. She is also on the higher education committee.

Hammond highlighted several items in the bill which would benefit higher ed. These include a two percent increase in higher ed funding, or about $25 million statewide, and initiatives aimed at giving Illinois students incentives to get their degrees in Illinois.

One of the biggest is a guaranteed four year MAP for students whose income status remains the same during their time in school. Guaranteeing MAP funding for all four years will give students more stability.

Another initiative called “AIM HIGH” is an institutional match of up to $25 million in the state aimed at high-achieving Illinois students whose incomes exceed MAP and PELL grant eligibility guidelines. The matching state funds give institutions greater incentive to offer scholarships to such students.

Capital projects going back to 2009 are also included, meaning funding for the planned performing arts center at Western is also in the bill.
GV Dad

So 89 Million for a Performing Arts Center and nothing for Athletics? Wonderful
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:36 pm So 89 Million for a Performing Arts Center and nothing for Athletics? Wonderful
I don't know all the details, but I think Athletics is usually a different funding source for improvements.
Also, the CPA has been in the works for over a decade, including having the funding actually released to us, only to have it "taken back" later.

I too would like to see athletics improvements, but we may have to wait a little longer on that. Hopefully whomever our new AD is can make some solid progress on it once they get hired.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Just think how much would have been saved if it was actually built ten years ago....

If I recall wasn’t the originally price tag 40-50 million?
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:10 pm Just think how much would have been saved if it was actually built ten years ago....

71.8 actually: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/_documents/F ... il2014.pdf
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Athletic facilities can not be payed for with state educational funds. Sometimes foundation funds are used, sometimes student fees are used (Illinois State), and sometimes it is all private money. This is not the case in every state of the union I don't think. Sometimes improvements can be made using Light/Safety monies too which I think could help us with the westside facility. We are going to need an end zone facility too, but the westside, like the CPA is "shovel" ready. Now I am pleasantly surprised that the CPA money is about to be deposited in our account, but I am just not ready to believe it will happen. I guess I feel like it's "show me the money!" I also know that all of you have been eagerly waiting for some type of campaign for the westside and I don't blame you. Sometimes the process just seems to move at a snails pace, but it is moving, believe me.

I spent 2 days in Macomb, Sunday and Monday for the LC Golf Outing. I drove the bypass west on Sunday night at dusk, and then drove it east on Monday morning. It is a nice piece of modern engineering but the only thing you can really see to the east are a couple of antennae. No dorms, no buildings, no Macomb. The work on the square is pretty much finished and looks great too. So even with the down turn of the past, things have been moving forward. The new golf facility looks great from the outside and is very close to being finished in time for an opening reception for donors at the beginning of July.

There were 28 foursomes for the Leatherneck Club Golf Outing and it was obvious that everyone was having a good time. Good food as always for lunch and dinner. Coaches of course got to address the group and JD Gravina really got my attention when he told the group that just before he went for an interview this spring, he got this gut feeling that no matter what, he needed to stay to help fight the problems and adversity that the University has been facing for the last couple of years. He said he is a fighter and asked us all to be fighters too! There are alot of people out there that love WIU/Macomb, a lot! Enough said! ;) jc
vatusay

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:23 pm
vatusay wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:10 pm Just think how much would have been saved if it was actually built ten years ago....

71.8 actually: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/_documents/F ... il2014.pdf
Ah, only $17 million then lol
#ALLIN #YOLO
LocalYokelFan

GV Dad wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:36 pm So 89 Million for a Performing Arts Center and nothing for Athletics? Wonderful
I love your passion for LN athletics GV and I can't wait for your son to get started and have a great football and educational experience. That said, you're way wrong with the sentiment of this statement. Taxpayers and students already support WIU athletics too much (there are earlier discussions on this somewhere on the board). Fans and gameday revenue need to carry the load or the program should be re-classified (D2) to reduce costs. WIU has a backlog of academic facility needs that need to take precedent over athletic facilities WITH taxpayer and student fees. If athletics wants (needs) new facilities, the athletic revenues and donors need to do the lifting.

PS. A performing arts center wouldn't be my top academic facility priority, but it's certainly light years more appropriate for State funds than athletic facilities.
wiu712

LocalYokelFan wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:59 pmTaxpayers and students already support WIU athletics too much (there are earlier discussions on this somewhere on the board). Fans and game-day revenue need to carry the load or the program should be re-classified (D2) to reduce costs.
In today's public statement, President Thomas talked about the implications of the declining enrollment at Western:

"Due to the projected decline in enrollment, along with contractual obligations and future budget-related uncertainties, and the continued impact of the previous years' budget impasse, we must continue to be fiscally conservative. My leadership team and I will evaluate how state appropriations and enrollment will impact the University's overall budget, and we will consider all options that provide cost-savings."
GV Dad

LocalYokelFan wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:59 pm
I love your passion for LN athletics GV and I can't wait for your son to get started and have a great football and educational experience. That said, you're way wrong with the sentiment of this statement. Taxpayers and students already support WIU athletics too much (there are earlier discussions on this somewhere on the board). Fans and gameday revenue need to carry the load or the program should be re-classified (D2) to reduce costs. WIU has a backlog of academic facility needs that need to take precedent over athletic facilities WITH taxpayer and student fees. If athletics wants (needs) new facilities, the athletic revenues and donors need to do the lifting.

PS. A performing arts center wouldn't be my top academic facility priority, but it's certainly light years more appropriate for State funds than athletic facilities.
$89 Million dollars for a performing arts center is wasted money. Talk about athletics not supporting itself, How long will it take to recoup that investment? 300 years? Ever?