Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
vatusay

Wow.

How moronic is that line of thought?

You have to laugh how at how frustratingly dumb they sound.

No one should give a single penny.

Not recieving the raise would only be temporary fix unless enrollment jumped back up. The layoffs may be more of a fix, but who is to say they are being made in the correct areas? Hate to see people lose jobs, but it happens in every other line of profession that is over staffed.
#ALLIN #YOLO
leatherface

From WGEM in Quincy- interesting, faculty union found a third of the staff would be willing to participate in this fund. Ironically, this fellow doesn't say anything about faculty or union participation.

MACOMB, Ill. (WGEM) -
Western Illinois University continues to feel the impacts of the budget impasse in Illinois.

Officials with WIU's faculty union say they want to start a faculty fund, as funds aren't available to staff to purchase certain materials. WIU Chapter President William Thompson says this would help with purchasing things faculty may need in their classrooms.

Thompson says they conducted a survey of who would be interested in donating money to the fund. He says one-third of the staff said they would be willing to donate. He says he hopes if all goes well and is approved by the union board, the fund over the next year or so would accumulate around $200,000.

Coming up on WGEM News at Five and Six, hear from Thompson on the importance of this fund for students and their learning.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

On the other side of things, there's apparently a push to have the president of the local union be recalled:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

Oh,my, this faculty fund- through solicited donations and held in control by the union- could be used for travel to conferences, "research" or for members facing an unexpected hardship. :evil: C'mon, it's all about the faculty- in their eyes. What have they done to help with the crises? What sacrifices? They just don't get it. Are they too stupid to realize they are in this crises with everyone? They don't deserve special treatment-geez. It's " all about them" mentality.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherface wrote:Oh,my, this faculty fund- through solicited donations and held in control by the union- could be used for travel to conferences, "research" or for members facing an unexpected hardship. :evil: C'mon, it's all about the faculty- in their eyes. What have they done to help with the crises? What sacrifices? They just don't get it. Are they too stupid to realize they are in this crises with everyone? They don't deserve special treatment-geez. It's " all about them" mentality.
I have heard that the person/people in charge of the union have said that if any faculty actually do get laid off, then negotiations are done.

They may not get it now, but they will when they have to go forward with laying off more faculty than what was in the most recent plan (34, I believe...all non-tenured).
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: I have heard that the person/people in charge of the union have said that if any faculty actually do get laid off, then negotiations are done.

They may not get it now, but they will when they have to go forward with laying off more faculty than what was in the most recent plan (34, I believe...all non-tenured).
Most definitely agree that if we can find ways to cut more of our expenses and/or enrollment continues to decline more faculty positions will be cut. There can be no justification for keeping faculty that you don't have students for.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:On the other side of things, there's apparently a push to have the president of the local union be recalled.
This was published in today's "McDonough County Voice" as a Letter to the Editor.
Tere North

Do you have a link for the Letter to the Editor?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote:Do you have a link for the Letter to the Editor?
I think he's referring to this one:
wiu712

Tere North wrote:Do you have a link for the Letter to the Editor?
Scott is correct. The Letter to the Editor is entitled "Enough Foolishness". It was written by Robert J. Hioronimus-Wendt, Professor of Sociology.