NIU playing at US Cellular Field in 2016

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sounds like there's supposed to be an announcement tomorrow of some kind by Northern Illinois about playing one of their games at US Cellular Field this next season. One tweet mentioned that it was supposed to be in September, which (at this point) would mean either our game with them or their game against San Diego State (unless they convinced one of the "away" game opponents...Wyoming or South Florida...to come play in Chicago). San Diego State is an FBS school, but I'd bet Western has more alumni/fans in the Chicago area than the Aztecs do.

The White Sox are on the road both of those weekends.

Or someone could just have the date wrong and they're playing someone like Western Michigan at the Cell.

EDIT - here's the NIU fan's perspective of it: http://csnbbs.com/thread-770617.html
Sounds like most are not real happy about moving a game into Chicago where attendance could be down quite a bit.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I've seen mentions that it'll likely be a later-season game, after baseball season is over so the White Sox don't have to deal with redoing the field in a short timeframe.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:I've seen mentions that it'll likely be a later-season game, after baseball season is over.
I don't see this as being a positive move for NIU.

A late-season game would be a conference game. Those games should be played in DeKalb.

A lot of MAC games are held on weeknights (Tuesday, Wednesday). How many people will want to go to a Tuesday night football game in Chicago in November ???
huskie

Chicago Tribune just posted NIU will be playing Toledo at US Cellular field.
wiu712

huskie wrote:Chicago Tribune just posted NIU will be playing Toledo at US Cellular field.
If I were an NIU student or season-ticket holder in DeKalb, I would not happy. The Toledo game usually carries a lot of meaning as to who wins the MAC West Division. In 2015, both NIU and Toledo finished 6-2 in the MAC West.
wiu712

NIU will be playing Toledo in a MAC West Division football game at White Sox Park. The game will be on November 9 which is a Wednesday.

Moving this big conference game out of DeKalb will certainly alienate the local fans. And tickets will not be cheap. Tickets will be priced at $45, $55 and $65.

Here is the NIU press release:
http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-foot ... 16aaa.html
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:NIU will be playing Toledo in a MAC West Division football game at White Sox Park. The game will be on November 9 which is a Wednesday.

Moving this big conference game out of DeKalb will certainly alienate the local fans. And tickets will not be cheap. Tickets will be priced at $45, $55 and $65.

Here is the NIU press release:
http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-foot ... 16aaa.html
Yea, mid-week game on the south side of Chicago....in November....and paying more for tickets? I don't think that's going to go over well with a lot of people (outside of the NIU alumni who happen to live in that area of Chicago or within a short CTA ride of it).
wiu712

NIU Athletic Director Sean Frazier is hoping for a crowd of 30,000 for this Nov 9 game at White Sox Park.

He will need to do a lot of aggressive marketing and promoting to obtain that number.