Spring "Training" and Practices

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So, sounds like he can play football if he's able, interested, and if the coaching staff wants him. Something about being a JUCO transfer and even though he played 4 years of college bball, he can still play football, although I'm not sure if he can play 1 year or if he has multiple years available.

At 6'7", he's 2" taller than our tallest TE currently on the team (Sophomore Adam Conrady), although at 230 lbs, he's a little light for his height (same weight as the 6'3" Sophomore Tyler Slamans). We currently have a Junior, two Sophomores, and one Freshman for our TE's on the team, so we might be a bit thin at that position if the Freshman (Chris Age) is redshirted...which I'm sure Coach Fisher would prefer to do.

Coming off of his senior year of basketball in the last few weeks, we know that he's probably in pretty decent shape and probably has pretty decent hands for catching balls tossed his way over and around defenders. Plus he's already very familiar with the campus, facilities, athletics staff (although obviously more familiar with the BBall staff than the FBall staff), so it's not like he'll have to deal with a transition like moving to a new school or going to college for the first time or anything.

If he's able to put some weight on...maybe 20 lbs in the weight room...I could see him being a solid (mostly) receiving TE for a year or two until the younger guys have filled out and gotten a bit more experience.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

I am in no way expecting Antonio gates production, but many of the great modern tight ends were also bball players in college. They know how to high point a ball and are supremely athletic.

Current and recent TEs that played basketball:

Tony Gonzales. (IMO greatest ever to play the position)
Antonio Gates
Jimmy Graham
Julius Thomas
Jordan Cameron

There are many others that aren't as household names yet.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, and you can add Martellus Bennett to that list (two years on the Texas A&M basketball team).

This article was from last year, but lists some of the ones previously mentioned as well as a few others (ones that played positions other than TE): http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d827ab771

I don't know if Chapman is enough of an athlete to be successful at it or not, but it's worth a shot, I think.
sealhall74

Are we seeing a trend here? McShane baseball and football. Now Chapman hoops and football. I think low to mid-major DI colleges should be doing more of it. Recruit really good athletes. Let them play whatever they want to play. If you are a bit "budget-strapped", you save a few scholly dollars. Two thumbs up from me.
Embrace the pace of the race.
yokedneck

ST_Lawson wrote:Do they usually bring in refs to do some live officiating during spring practices? I didn't realize that was a thing.

[tweet]716036685306286080[/tweet]
I think it's pretty standard at D1 college levels. Officials visit scrimmages to get some live practice themselves as well as discuss any rule changes or points of emphasis for the up coming season.

Tom
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Are we seeing a trend here? McShane baseball and football. Now Chapman hoops and football. I think low to mid-major DI colleges should be doing more of it. Recruit really good athletes. Let them play whatever they want to play. If you are a bit "budget-strapped", you save a few scholly dollars. Two thumbs up from me.
Yea, I like it. Plus it keeps them in better shape quite often through the "offseason". If they do baseball or track or something in the spring, football in the fall, I think they're much less likely to fall out of shape outside of regular organized practices.

Also, with something like baseball, for example, it's much easier to go pro than it is in football. Lots of minor league teams out there for guys to get spots on, so if a player like McShane wants to keep playing something after he graduates, he either has to become one of the best RBs in Western history (even probably our best ever...Stecker...had to work up through the NFL Europe ranks before he eventually became a "backup/3rd down" back in the NFL for quite a few years), or he can be a decent baseball player and get picked up by a low level minor league team.
Western_101

Scott, how do you think Herb Donaldson compared to Aaron Stecker?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Scott, how do you think Herb Donaldson compared to Aaron Stecker?
Both were obviously amazingly good RBs for our level of football.

I think Donaldson had a couple of single-game performances that were more impressive than Stecker's (he's the only RB with 300+ rushing yard games...two of them, and one of those he had 6 TD in...against a conference opponent too), but overall, I think Stecker has the edge over Donaldson.
Looking at the numbers:

Best Rushing Seasons:
Stecker has the #1 and #4 best
Donaldson has #2, #5, and #6
Although, Stecker's #1 season beats Donaldson's #2 by over 500 yards.

Most Rushing TDs in a Season:
Stecker has #1 and #6 (tied with Brian Knuckles)
Donaldson has #2 and #4

Herb has most of the career numbers at Western, but that can be somewhat misleading since Stecker only played for us for 2 years, whereas Donaldson was here all four years (and played significantly for 3 of them).

If you look at how those numbers stacked up against the rest of the I-AA/FCS at the time (which can be helpful if the game changes somewhat in the ~10 years between Stecker and Donaldson), you can also see how they compared to the rest of their competition at the time. Unfortunately the numbers are somewhat different between the two, when NCAA was archiving stats, they did regular-season only back in '97, but did all games including playoffs in '08.

Stecker (1997) - 1,957 yards (#1 in I-AA), 24 TDs (#1 in I-AA...by 6 TDs over #2), 177.91 yards per game (#2 in I-AA)
Donaldson (2008) - 1,784 yards (#3 in FCS), 22 TDs (tied for #4 in FCS), 162.18 yards per game (#1 in FCS)

It's pretty close, but I think Stecker is a little better there.

Then you can look at post-college success.
Donaldson was in the NFL for 4 seasons, all as an offseason or practice squad member.
Stecker started at NFL Europe, but was the league MVP in 2000. He was then good enough to stay on NFL active rosters for 10 years. He didn't start all those years, but he was a solid #2 RB for both Tampa Bay and New Orleans

Prior to Western, you don't really know how well Donaldson would have done, but Stecker was good enough as a freshman to start at Wisconsin, including 3 100+ yard games as well as seeing significant action as a kick returner. The only reason that he transferred to us was the emergence of future Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne. When Dayne started doing really well during Stecker's Sophomore year, he was moved down to being a backup. He transferred here because he wasn't going to end up with much playing time, but if Wisconsin hadn't have had arguably their best RB in their history (and the best in the Big 10 during that timeframe) one year behind Stecker, then Stecker would likely have been the starting RB all four years.

So, overall, I think Stecker was a bit better than Donaldson, but it's pretty obvious they're the best and close second-best RBs in Western history.
BobLovely

vatusay wrote:I am in no way expecting Antonio gates production, but many of the great modern tight ends were also bball players in college. They know how to high point a ball and are supremely athletic.

Current and recent TEs that played basketball:

Tony Gonzales. (IMO greatest ever to play the position)
Antonio Gates
Jimmy Graham
Julius Thomas
Jordan Cameron

There are many others that aren't as household names yet.
I would add Marcus Pollard from Bradley to this list...

Bob
Western_101

St_Lawson you have got some serious analytical skills.

Who knew Trombone playing Marathon runners have so many Leatherneck stats and facts!

Stecker's W tattoo is for WESTERN right? :D