Tanney leaving to become AD at Wabash College

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LocalYokelFan

For those keeping score at home, that's an AD leaving a D1 program (FCS in football) for a D3 program. Yikes. There has to be more from that story and I hope it's not just a reflection of how bad of shape the athletics department is in right now.
sealhall74

Not the first top administrator to leave for a small liberal arts college recently.

Surprising but looks like a good opportunity even though moving down to DIII. Endowment for Wabash is about $325M and ranks #40 among all colleges in endowment per student. Demanding academically. Seniors have a 3-day comprehensive exam (oral and written) in their major in order to graduate. Fotball stadium not too much different than ours but they do have better seating in the end zone. If they need a new west side, I dont see a problem.

I think Matt ran a good tight ship but next man or woman up as they say.

Update: Five years ago, CC, TP, and company stomped their butt 71-39. I guess you could say just got even.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Personally, I think there's a couple of things to remember about this.
  1. Wabash is his alma mater.
  2. It's about the same distance to his "hometown" as Macomb (small town just northeast of Bloomington/Normal).
  3. As many of you probably know, Matt's wife has MS, and Crawfordsville is a quick 1-hour trip down I-74 to get to Indy and accompanying "big city" medical facilities.
So, it looks like a good situation for him and his family...likely less pressure than a DI Athletic Director job...and considering the school's financial situation compared to ours, probably can pay him a comparable salary to what we can.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:06 pmFootball stadium not too much different than ours, but they do have better seating in the end zone.
Tere North

This sounds like a great opportunity for Matt, and one that eliminates many of the fiscal challenges challenges at Western.

Personally, our administrative leadership should take this as a blessing opportunity to make a decision to move us to D2 where we can afford to compete. Given conference options, that would save us over $1M/yr and travel and be more representative of the facilities we have, and quite honestly, the majority of athletes as a minor D1 player we recruit.
wiu712

Tanney named new Director of Athletics at Wabash.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... -at-wabash
leatherneckcountry

Interesting to see what direction they chose to go really no great in house candidates the most qualified candidate doesn't even work in athletics anymore with Lisa Melz Jennings. Not sure they'll look else where we aren't hiring qualified candidates for anything else why would we do it in athletics.
leatherneckcountry

Also never realized Wabash is only a Mens College.
Tere North

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:07 am Interesting to see what direction they chose to go really no great in house candidates the most qualified candidate doesn't even work in athletics anymore with Lisa Melz Jennings. Not sure they'll look else where we aren't hiring qualified candidates for anything else why would we do it in athletics.
Other than length of time in the department, why would Lisa Melz Jennings be the most qualified in house candidate?