Nikko Watson

wiu712

Here's the story from the Dispatch-Argus newspaper:
http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=695807
Mizzou Rah

That is what I was told, Nikko is at a community college to keep up classes and grades and then come back for final year next year. Hope it works out, I really root for him.
rocki

You know, it would be really nice if there was more press about when charges are dropped. I know I, for one, still thought the charges were pending and honestly it does make one look at things with a jaded eye.

Hope this works to his advantage and he's able to come out the other side with better insights into himself. I wish him all the best.
SunDevilLawyer

rocki wrote:You know, it would be really nice if there was more press about when charges are dropped. I know I, for one, still thought the charges were pending and honestly it does make one look at things with a jaded eye.

Hope this works to his advantage and he's able to come out the other side with better insights into himself. I wish him all the best.
Several points to be made here. (1) The school was correct to suspend him and make him miss a season. This is the type and level of punishment that is required to teach athletes a lesson. (2) This is how you prevent the athletes from turning pro and thinking they can get away with everything (as we are seeing in the NFL now. The proof of this is Nikko himself, he realized he messed up and he is maturing and becoming a better person. A full season off of football is the best thing that could have happened to him. (3) Charges being dropped really means little in the grand scheme of things, great for the defendant, means little to the program. Anyone related to someone charged has already received the bad press by the time charges are dropped, a plea bargain is made, or acquittal. Example, WIU already recieved bad press from Nikko, Ravens and NFL already received bad press from Ray Rice, NFL and Ravens received bad press from Ray Lewis. Point being as an athlete and representative of a team/university/organization you have a responsibility to not put yourself in the situation that can create the original charges, whether they be dropped or not.

When we (as fans) allow athletes to be charged with battery or scream obscene phrases etc and we celebrate when they are let "off" we enable the creation of the menaces that roam the professional leagues and think they can get away with anything and everything.

I am proud to see nikko correct his mistake, and I hope he does well and never has another run in with the law.

Situations like this afford us the opportunity to set a dangerous or responsible precedent. So far I am proud with the university and Nikko.
WIU0812

Glad that we now have some information, but still confused as why he tweeted "ISU" unless he was just visiting a friend over there for the weekend maybe. Was gonna be very disappointed if he ended up being let on after all this with a rival team.
basfan445

Correct me if I am wrong but if he does, for some reason, get on the football team at ISU he can't go on scholarship because he transferred to another school within conference which means he will be a walk on.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

basfan445 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but if he does, for some reason, get on the football team at ISU he can't go on scholarship because he transferred to another school within conference which means he will be a walk on.
Also, and I don't know this for sure, but if you go to another school in the same division, don't you have to sit out a season? I know you do if you transfer from FBS to FBS, but not FBS->FCS. I don't know if that also applies to FCS->FCS, and how him being dismissed affects this.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

This season would be the season he is sitting out, so unless there were in-conference rules in addition, NCAA transfer rules would be satisfied.