UMKC back to Summit League?

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:With the new autonomy now granted to the five "Power Conferences", there could be a lot of changes upcoming in the NCAA.

Some speculations that I have heard on sports radio include the possibilities of some of the "lower-rung" FBS conferences dropping down to FCS. And some lower tier Division 1 programs dropping down to Division 2. Money will be determining factor for most programs as to what level that they can afford.
Whether you move up or down, strong leadership should always take you there. The alternative is to change simply because everyone else is doing it. I think that is the mistake we made 30+ years ago.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

leatherface wrote:Addition- Lindenwood could look in the future to D1. They have literally unlimited funds, rapidly growing and a very aggressive mentality.
You might be right. Excellent location. Plus, suiting up a women's hockey team does show a lot of bravado. I love that.

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/201 ... th=whockey
Neckfansince71

leatherface wrote:My wife and I went to grad school at Truman, and they are not interested in D1. Heck, they left the MIAA- in part- because they had a rough time competing. Other reasons were travel and recruiting issues because of their academics.

Missouri D2 schools - and the MIAA in general- are unique because they have found that level to be what they can afford, and, it gives them a chance to win national championships. Northwest, Pitt State, Missouri Western and Central Missouri have facilities WIU would wish for.

I give them credit for knowing who they are, what they can achieve and the incentives to do it. Central was rumored a few years ago looking at D1, but said why? You want to compete for national championships ( Central D2 bb), or struggle along trying to keep up with the " big boys". For those who will say a D2 championship doesn't mean much- get an appointment with the coaches and players at MOWEST, Central, Pitt or Northwest and tell them that and see what happens.

Illinois is different, in that D2 is not a common level for the state schools- everybody wants to be D1, even if they really can't afford it. IMHO
Leatherface's comment about "finding that level" got me thinking about how WIU really got to the level where it competes today. The first real conference affiliation WIU had was the "Little 19" which was composed of almost every college participating in athletics in the state of Illinois starting in the late 20's not including Illinois or NU. It basically was a mix of private and state teacher colleges which all seemed to be about the same size when things got started, but gradually grew apart as the years went on. By 1937, an article appeared in the Chicago Tribune calling for the end of the conference due to freshman eligibility. It seems the private schools wanted to limit freshmen play while the teacher's colleges and a couple of other schools wanted to allow it. The end of the Little 19, also called the IIAC, or Illinois Intercollegiate Athletic Conference morphed with addition of Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan into the Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. As the 70's approached of course, Eastern Michigan left for no where in particular along with NIU which left for the big time and Central Michigan (MAC). When Illinois State and Southern Illinois left too for the Midwest League, that was the end of the IIAC. WIU and EIU basically found themselves all by themselves in the D2 sandbox of Illinois. Why not step up and join former playmates in the Gateway Conference? We all know the rest of the story! Did not mean to ramble. Leatherface, you just got me thinking!!! ;) jc
sealhall74

UMKC is in a big market area. Getting on the tube is no doubt very important to them for a variety of reasons. This agreement between Sinclair Broadcast Group and the WAC probably makes the 'Roos happy to stay where they are for now, giving them some time to evaluate just how much exposure they get from Sinclair.

http://www.sbgi.net/site_mgr/temp/ASN%20Syndication.pdf
OldHare

The WAC is also a large footprint to keep teams on the road. Edinburgh, Tx is far south in the state of Texas. You travel to Arizona, New Mexico, California, Washington, Utah, Illinois, and Missouri as well. It makes a bus trip to Fargo look like a night to the movies. Chicago is the closet game fo UMKC at 500 miles. (Brookings is about 550 from Macomb.) The rest range from 900 to 1800+ miles. The 8 teams in the conference have 6 teams joining in 2013, 1 in 2012, and NMSU from 2005. Geography might pull this group apart more than a few games on TV can bind. Although the WAC has wiggled a carrot in front of UMKC to host the tourney games in place of Vegas. UMKC may not be the next team to join the Summit and Douple could be bringing in another team that surprised us as much as the past 2(DU and ORU). The people that engineered the UMKC departure are not involved in that university now and it was perplexing as to why they left. One way or another, it will be more surprising to not see another member announced to be in the Summit this year or next for sure.
beauspencer

The potential of UMKC returning to the Summit League is very real, not just message board fodder. At least this was the case several months ago. More teams that could potentially join the Summit League in the future are some Division II teams that are looking to make the jump. Minnesota State is one of these schools, along with a couple other Minnesota D2 schools. I've also heard that North Dakota could join the fray in the next couple years.