football coaching 2015

lovethenecks

Coaching Changes are are huge part of the college coaching game and as we look at 2015 what changes do we need for 2015? First we need to look at the obvious that the head coach will be given one more year, but needs to make the playoffs next year or his time in Macomb will be over! Next with our performance on the field will any of our coaches be offered upgraded jobs, based on defense performance none will be gone to better jobs, offense could be a different story as we had some stellar area's, o-line, wr's, qb improvement. The next thing is where we can improve, obviously, Special Teams Coaching, Tight Ends (don't exist)and with the talent we had had LB, maybe here. I would predict there will be 3 coaching changes made prior to 2015 season, Your thoughts
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think that this year was an anomaly in terms of how well we did vs how well we should have done.

The conference as a whole was a great deal better than it's been in the past. Pretty much the entire season, the conference was rated higher than all other FCS conferences and higher than the bottom few FBS conferences (Sun Belt, C-USA, MAC). What this means is that if we were as good as we are this year, but the conference was on par with a few years ago, then we likely would have been sitting at 7-5 overall, 5-3 in the conference, and likely gotten an at-large bid to the playoffs.

I can't remember the exact terms of Nielson's contract, but I think it was 5 years, considering how bad off the team was and how long it was going to take to turn the team around.
The team has had a better record every year under Coach Nielson....remember, in the two years before him, we went 2-9 (1-7 in conference) then 3-8 (1-7 in conference)...and of those 3 wins, one was against Div. II Indianapolis and another was against non-scholarship team Butler.
Since Nielson has come here, we've gone 4-8 (2-6 in conference) and then 5-7 (3-5 in conference).
So, winning percentages have been slowly climbing, even though we've had an extremely difficult schedule...remember, this year we played 2 Big 10 teams and 7 ranked FCS teams (5 of which ended up as playoff teams). Of those 5 playoff teams, we defeated one and had very close, winnable games against two others (the two that won the conference and have top 8 seeds in the playoffs).

Nielson very quickly turned the offense into something that could do great things in the next couple of years, he just needs to try to keep that on track, and move his focus to improving the defense in the same way. If he can turn the defense around like he did with the offense, then next year (with likely a young, but talented defense), I think we'll have a winning record and be knocking on the door of the playoffs, and the following year (Norvell, Lenoir, and Borsellino's senior years) will really impress some people.

Considering what he had to work with when he came here, and the progress that the team has made so far, I don't see him being fired. If he somehow does not make the playoffs by the time his contract is up, I could see his contract not being renewed and him being let go, but we're not in a financial position to be eating the remainder of someone's contract just because he hasn't turned the team completely around in only 2-3 years. He's got 3 more seasons, then we'll see where things are at, but I predict either year 4 or 5 will be amazing (likely year 4), and if he wants to stick around, his contract will be renewed.

EDIT - and to follow up with the other coaches, I kinda agree with you...I could see maybe an assistant coach or two leaving...likely defensive coach(es) being let go...but it seems like most of Coach N's offensive guys are pretty loyal to him, so I don't know if they'd be going anywhere.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

No way they get rid of Nielsen next year if they don't make the playoffs, unless maybe if they totally tank and don't win any games.

I could see maybe Ward being let go and a new DC being named. Nielsen might want his own guy at the position. Ward I believe was the only holdover and that might have been done to appease some of the returning players and make sure they stayed around and that wouldn't be as important now. I think Ward has a done a good job for the most part, but I still wouldn't be surprised if he did leave.