Head Coaching Search

rocki

Don't know him personally, but more than willing to give him a chance. I'm sure there were several good candidates, but for whatever reason, Myers stood out (for all I know, it might have been the other candidates' choice to change their minds after the interview and seeing what the circumstances were). Wishing him and the team all the best in the future.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:23 pmfor all I know, it might have been the other candidates' choice to change their minds after the interview and seeing what the circumstances were

This is possible. I know of more than a few candidates for various non-athletic positions around campus that were interested until they actually got here in person...then were maybe not quite so interested.
Unfortunately, Macomb is relatively remote. We don't have a local TV station; we don't have a hotel big enough to house a visiting football team; we're quite a ways from the nearest airport that you can charter a football-team-sized jet out of. It takes a certain kind of person to know and accept the limitations of the situation.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:28 pm
rocki wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:23 pmfor all I know, it might have been the other candidates' choice to change their minds after the interview and seeing what the circumstances were

This is possible. I know of more than a few candidates for various non-athletic positions around campus that were interested until they actually got here in person...then were maybe not quite so interested.
Unfortunately, Macomb is relatively remote. We don't have a local TV station; we don't have a hotel big enough to house a visiting football team; we're quite a ways from the nearest airport that you can charter a football-team-sized jet out of. It takes a certain kind of person to know and accept the limitations of the situation.

If the city had a bunch of money to burn, they should build a "mini convention center" between the Hampton Inn and the Best Western next to it.  Big enough to cater a herd feeding of all the people associated with a D1 football team.  Then a team could probably stay in Macomb sharing rooms in the two hotels.  Still fly into Peoria or Moline but I would think any coach would like that arrangement much better than taking a 2 hour bus ride on game day.  You might be able to finagle some dollars from each hotel company to make it happen if sharing rights can be agreed to.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck177

Personally I think we put too much weight in wanting to be in macomb. We should look for a candidate that wants to build it up and leave after 4-5 years and leave an assistant behind to keep it going. 
we needed experience, I hope I’m wrong and he is up and coming. 
WIU2DC

Let’s see who his first recruit he signs in the coming days and who leaves the program. I like that he has ties to macomb and WIU so he knows what our program once was and the limitations or money that he won’t likely get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganeck

It is true with Myers he absolutely knows what he is getting into and for the most part the good and bad issues of WIU, Macomb and the area. So he definitely knows what he is getting into. One other things I wonder if they were able to get him on a little cheaper deal, money wise, since is he coming from a lower level.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:58 pm
=0.95emIf the city had a bunch of money to burn, they should build a "mini convention center" between the Hampton Inn and the Best Western next to it.  Big enough to cater a herd feeding of all the people associated with a D1 football team.  Then a team could probably stay in Macomb sharing rooms in the two hotels.  Still fly into Peoria or Moline but I would think any coach would like that arrangement much better than taking a 2 hour bus ride on game day.  You might be able to finagle some dollars from each hotel company to make it happen if sharing rights can be agreed to.

All of that four 4-5 home football games a year? Yep, that would have to be a "bunch of money to burn" with nothing better to spend it on.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:45 am
=0.95emIf the city had a bunch of money to burn, they should build a "mini convention center" between the Hampton Inn and the Best Western next to it.  Big enough to cater a herd feeding of all the people associated with a D1 football team.  Then a team could probably stay in Macomb sharing rooms in the two hotels.  Still fly into Peoria or Moline but I would think any coach would like that arrangement much better than taking a 2 hour bus ride on game day.  You might be able to finagle some dollars from each hotel company to make it happen if sharing rights can be agreed to.
All of that four 4-5 home football games a year? Yep, that would have to be a "bunch of money to burn" with nothing better to spend it on.

I wish Macomb had the business to be able to support something like that, but Tere's right. If the only use it's going to get is to host football teams a few times a year, it's not worth it.
If the Convention & Visitor's Bureau thinks they might be able to drum up enough business to use it on a fairly regular basis outside of that, then it could be, but I don't see Macomb being in that position at this point.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:12 am

I wish Macomb had the business to be able to support something like that, but Tere's right. If the only use it's going to get is to host football teams a few times a year, it's not worth it.
If the Convention & Visitor's Bureau thinks they might be able to drum up enough business to use it on a fairly regular basis outside of that, then it could be, but I don't see Macomb being in that position at this point.

Where do Macombies go now for things like craft fairs, weddings and receptions, big business meetings,  Coach's Football Show (assuming Myers will do a public one instead of in the studio), ....
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

4-5 home games....then hopefully translates to more high school and youth events being hosted throughout the year. It's been done in other smaller towns with much success.