Big South-OVC

screamingeaglepride

For you leatherneck football fans if you want to check it out  your future conference there is a new web site up www.BigSouthOVCfootball.com.
sealhall74

You cant play every team every year, so does this setup have any "must play every year" matchups because of rivalries, etc. like the Valley currently does?
Embrace the pace of the race.
screamingeaglepride

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:26 pm You cant play every team every year, so does this setup have any "must play every year" matchups because of rivalries, etc. like the Valley currently does?

I do not know if there is going to be 'must games" or how many conferences games will be played in 2024. I will try to find out

GV Dad

So are we going to be the 11th member, or is another school leaving/joining?  
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:01 am So are we going to be the 11th member, or is another school leaving/joining?  

Nobody has announced that they are leaving at this point out of existing OVC/Big South group.

In terms of scheduling, it looks like this season:
All the Big South teams play each other plus 3 of the OVC members.
The OVC members play 4 of the 5 other OVC members, plus 2 of the Big South members.
So, OVC members miss one other OVC member each year.

I haven't seen anything talking about how things change once we're added next year though. My guess at this point is that OVC members will play 4 of the 6 other OVC members plus 2 of the Big South members, at least while the conference has it's current teams. I hope that we could have maybe a "protected rivalry" that we always play (EIU for us), but idk if that'll happen.

Obviously, all bets are off if the OVC somehow pulls in YSU and INSU, or something like that. If that were to happen, I think the OVC splits from the Big South and does it's own thing with 9 teams...everyone plays all 8 every year and has 3 OOC games (4 during a 12-game season).

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000