687 Days and Counting

Leathernecks1092

To Whom It May Concern:

As a lifelong supporter of Leatherneck Athletics, I am beyond the point of embarrassment with our revenue sport, football. I have spent all day trying to wrap my  head around, 687 days since the last football win.  We were never confused with a quality FCS program even at this point, but the current state is a whole nother level of infamy. A 17 point lead over a program that just became D1, two short years ago ( unless you are a Leatherneck) and then those two years feel like an eternity.  I myself feel bad that Randy Ball and his former players had to waste a night to come back to see what resembled a low-to mid level D2 game. They had to witness a kicker wearing #57? They had to come to grips with the fact that the same west side of the stadium hasn't changed in the last 50 plus years? But, ironically enough we did somehow find the money for brand new gold jerseys. You can dress a turd in a tuxedo, but it is still a turd. Plain and simple. Why you would want to draw any more attention to yourself at this point is beyond me. Does anyone find it funny that we break these out on the weekend of the 90's reunion? I have no idea how any 18-22 year old could take this program seriously? As much as it would pain me for this formerly well respected program to drop to D2, I have serious doubts on how well we could compete at that level. We couldn't beat the current doormat of the OVC at home, so I think this is a valid concern.  I used to think we might not be the worst of the directional schools in Illinois, but Eastern's recent success has me thinking differently. Rumor has it their current financial situation is not any better than ours. Good or bad, you have to have someone on the sidelines that has a presence. Our gentlemen on the coaching staff, look just as confused as I am while watching the events on my big screen TV. That can't happen. Passing out programs as fans leave the stadium, well...... not the most opportune time. I completely understand that Rome wasn't built over night, but it was built. Without change, I fear that things won't get built. Just an opinion from some 40 plus year old bald, fat guy.
dogwhisper

Agreed, time to move on, whatever that means, tradition of tough is long gone.
rocki

Leathernecks1092 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:02 pm To Whom It May Concern:

As a lifelong supporter of Leatherneck Athletics, I am beyond the point of embarrassment with our revenue sport, football. I have spent all day trying to wrap my  head around, 687 days since the last football win.  We were never confused with a quality FCS program even at this point, but the current state is a whole nother level of infamy. A 17 point lead over a program that just became D1, two short years ago ( unless you are a Leatherneck) and then those two years feel like an eternity.  I myself feel bad that Randy Ball and his former players had to waste a night to come back to see what resembled a low-to mid level D2 game. They had to witness a kicker wearing #57? They had to come to grips with the fact that the same west side of the stadium hasn't changed in the last 50 plus years? But, ironically enough we did somehow find the money for brand new gold jerseys. You can dress a turd in a tuxedo, but it is still a turd. Plain and simple. Why you would want to draw any more attention to yourself at this point is beyond me. Does anyone find it funny that we break these out on the weekend of the 90's reunion? I have no idea how any 18-22 year old could take this program seriously? As much as it would pain me for this formerly well respected program to drop to D2, I have serious doubts on how well we could compete at that level. We couldn't beat the current doormat of the OVC at home, so I think this is a valid concern.  I used to think we might not be the worst of the directional schools in Illinois, but Eastern's recent success has me thinking differently. Rumor has it their current financial situation is not any better than ours. Good or bad, you have to have someone on the sidelines that has a presence. Our gentlemen on the coaching staff, look just as confused as I am while watching the events on my big screen TV. That can't happen. Passing out programs as fans leave the stadium, well...... not the most opportune time. I completely understand that Rome wasn't built over night, but it was built. Without change, I fear that things won't get built. Just an opinion from some 40 plus year old bald, fat guy.

I am older than you, and went to Western in the 70's. Remembering the packed stadium in those days - with the student section being rickety wooden bleachers that swayed with the stomping feet and standing room only crowds - cheering on a goal-line defense that was unmatched. I realize I'm a boomer, and there were so many of us we packed universities to the gills. Still, Leatherneck football (even with its ups and downs) was, on the whole, a positive note. I don't know when it happened, how it happened, or why it happened, but something has gone horribly wrong. Yes, there are a LOT of universities in IL competing for the same budget dollars, but those others still manage to at least keep donors engaged. We don't.  This has to change. In a HUGE way.
4EverPurple&Gold

Leathernecks1092 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:02 pm To Whom It May Concern:

Couldn't agree more with this... you summed it up perfectly for a lot of fans on here. 

No other way to put it than this program and athletic department is EMBARRASSING.

4 wins in the last 5 seasons... its almost impressive. I know other sports are just as worse too.

This coaching staff is a JOKE!!! I tried to give them a chance but can't anymore. Doesn't know what he is doing and I hate to say it but we do not have good players... yes some good with QB but other than that no. We have blown too many leads and have 0 football IQ. I really want to know what is going on in the locker room and Western Hall. Do these coaches or players care at all??? The play calling is brutal and I bet many in the stands, those that show up to watch the pile of garbage, can do better.

Then ugly uniforms.. please tell me who thought yeah these look good?? Our marketing department, if we even have one, is CLUELESS. The fact that a D1 program doesn't have programs ready for their home game I will never understand. We don't market the games or anything really. Looking at our website it is just as bad along with social media. Then we didn't have a compliance director for a long time. To those working in Western Hall, I ask that are you showing up everyday giving your best or all? Really!!

I am going to stop going to events and donating until things get fixed... IMO it starts with firing the FB coach.