Head Coaching Search

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Another that would fall into my "great candidate" but also potentially "attainable" would be Mike Hallett (Co-OC/O-Line Coach at Toledo for the last four years, O-Line coach/run game coordinator for 4 years before that): https://utrockets.com/sports/football/r ... llett/1119. In that time, Toledo has had one of the better offenses of the G5 schools. They currently have the #9 rushing offense in all of FBS (207.1 ypg on the ground and 26 rushing TDs) and are currently 10-1 and #23 in the AP rankings.
Prior to his time at Toledo, he was HC at DIII Heidelberg University (Ohio) for 9 years and before that, HC at NAIA Thomas More University (KY) for 3 years. He made a bit over $111k at Toledo in 2022 (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... stant/4522)

Salary-wise, we should be able to pay more than a DII Head Coaching position or most G5-level coordinators. We're not going to pull any P5 (P4?) coordinators though...they make at least double (if not more) than our HC position does.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:12 am I don't have any idea what our potential candidate pool looks like, but here's a guy who would be probably my ideal "attainable" candidate: Brian Wright (current HC at DII Pittsburg State)
Originally from Ohio...in the last 20 years was OC/QB coach at Youngstown State, Montana State, Florida Atlantic (became interim HC for 4 games there where he went 4-0), Toledo, and finally HC at Pittsburg State in 2020. Pittsburg State does have a history of success before he showed up, having won the DII championship in 2011, but they're 32-7 since he took over, appearing in the DII playoffs in the last two seasons and was MIAA Coach of the Year in 2022: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wri ... _football)
Wright made $150k at Pitt State last year.

He's had experience at the DII, FCS, and FBS levels, being at least an OC at all of them. He's had three full years of head coaching experience (not counting his 4 games as interim at FAU or the 2-2 COVID season).

The got better facilities than us by far, including indoor practice turf field house.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

Saw our first transfer. Drake Day, which isn’t surprising as we don’t have a HC and he didn’t play this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:00 am The got better facilities than us by far, including indoor practice turf field house.

True, but facilities aren't the "be-all and end-all". Might be for some coaches, but we can at least offer a higher salary than most DII positions and a higher-profile position in many cases. At this point, I'd be perfectly ok with someone looking to move up the ladder and using us as just a 3-4 year stop along the way...as long as they can get us on the positive side of .500.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 am Another that would fall into my "great candidate" but also potentially "attainable" would be Mike Hallett (Co-OC/O-Line Coach at Toledo for the last four years, O-Line coach/run game coordinator for 4 years before that): https://utrockets.com/sports/football/r ... llett/1119. In that time, Toledo has had one of the better offenses of the G5 schools. They currently have the #9 rushing offense in all of FBS (207.1 ypg on the ground and 26 rushing TDs) and are currently 10-1 and #23 in the AP rankings.
Prior to his time at Toledo, he was HC at DIII Heidelberg University (Ohio) for 9 years and before that, HC at NAIA Thomas More University (KY) for 3 years. He made a bit over $111k at Toledo in 2022 (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... stant/4522)

Salary-wise, we should be able to pay more than a DII Head Coaching position or most G5-level coordinators. We're not going to pull any P5 (P4?) coordinators though...they make at least double (if not more) than our HC position does.

Toledo's coach will probably get a P5 job this offseason, I see he was mentioned for the Syracuse job, so if Toledo's HC does leave, would be be a candidate for their job, join the coach at the P5 program and a probable pay bump or venture off and do his thing elsewhere.

GV Dad

Josh Lamberson HC at U of Central Missouri would be a good candidate as well.  Was an FCS Assoc HC/OC for 5 years at Abilene Christian.  Has the Mules 11-1 this year, his 2nd, and in the 2nd round of the D2 playoffs.  He was a QB, GA and Asst Coach at Northwest MO during their hay day in the 2000's.  
pvk7072

WIU/Macomb might seem like an island to some, but in the CFB World, it isn't. There are always a slew of aspiring wannabe HCs out there.

Still, IMO, the coach search may take awhile considering what's been happening at the P4/5 level. HC coach changes so far (more coming?) at Syracuse, Michigan State, Northwestern, Texas A&M, Boise State, Mississippi State, etc. will mean a lot of dust needs to settle and a lot of trickle-down may happen. The recurrent realignments have jarred loose a lot of big $ donors "up top," leading to frustration that 10-2, 11-1 and 12-0 seasons are not automatic when opening their checkbooks.

New HCs at the "top" bring new staffs, with a few rehires/retentions mixed in. But some assistants will be looking for jobs, some better G5 coaches (Jason Candle, Toledo?) may be looking for a P4/5 and may not take all staff, some may decide a HC job is better than being dragged in or out on someone's coattails, and some assistants may decide that being a lower FBS HC is a better way to climb the ladder on their own.

Needless to say, this will complicate the search, IMO. But it also may mean there are more looking for their own gig. If they come from somewhere that paid its assistants (e.g.) $150,000 per, that's not too far a reach for a program like NIU (maybe $125k to start then > $150k with a couple winning seasons?) that has obvious aspirations in the OVC. Then there's that: new HC in a new conference with the chance to build their own staff and recruit their own players. Add the "stepping stone" effect from success and who knows?

IMO, Bubb did this at the right time ... as early as possible.

Just my thoughts. BTW, I posted nothing against and hold nothing but best wishes and respect for Myers Hendrickson and his family.

dogwhisper

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:21 am Josh Lamberson HC at U of Central Missouri would be a good candidate as well.  Was an FCS Assoc HC/OC for 5 years at Abilene Christian.  Has the Mules 11-1 this year, his 2nd, and in the 2nd round of the D2 playoffs.  He was a QB, GA and Asst Coach at Northwest MO during their hay day in the 2000's.  

Why would he leave UCM, its a better job, pay, facilities, administration all way better.  We need to look at a guy like @TheRealCoach_JB Jason Brown, will need to find somebody whose on the rebound not the rise
jtrinaldi

Someone in the mould of former assistant coach AJ Blazek and would be a dream scenario for a head coaching job.  
leatherneckcountry

Everyone is mentioning offensive coaches I thought I might throw a defensive guy in https://ohiobobcats.com/sports/football ... winsky/363