Head Coaching Search

Let’s Go Western!

Leatherneck57 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:25 am More info…

This man would be a great choice for WIU!
bignecks

I'm not as in love with Sorrentino as you guys are. I've talked myself into Spence Nowinsky. I graduated from Iowa State. Ohio showed up with a bigger defensive front than us that played at an elite level. Our offense played better against Texas than it did against Ohio. He also has the local ties being with Illinois State almost a decade. 

wiu51

When I look up Sorrentino the red flag I see is he has never been a head coach or even a coordinator anywhere. He was assistant wr coach with Vikings and Jaguars. NIU- te and fullback coach, fau football ops(not even a coach), Tennessee wr analyst and so on. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck57 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:12 pm I can assure you that all the candidates
have done their homework and know people who know WIU and the facilities we have. When applying for the job they are applying for the job. 

I spoke with a candidate from UIW (University of Incarnate Word) and he bet me money WIU’s facilities are way nicer than UIW has. He said their press box looks like duck blinds and the stadium seats like 3500. When that staff came on they took an 0-11 program to the semi-finals last year losing to NDSU. He also said they didn’t have enough office space so they turned the coaches locker room into office space. He said facilities don’t make winners…people do. Bring in the right players and you can win.

A bit of a follow-up to this for those of you who aren't aware...
UIW plays in Benson Stadium, which holds 6,000 people and has something of an awkward-looking offset pressbox area:

Incarnate Word also has an overall record of 30-7 over the last 3 seasons, making the playoffs in both 2021 and 2022 (and narrowly missing this year with an 8-2 record). Last year, they went 2-1 in the playoffs and averaged 581 offensive yards and 51.5 points per game (that's 5th and 2nd best in FCS/I-AA history respectively...only the 1984 Mississippi Valley Team with WR Jerry Rice scored more points per game than 2022's UIW team). If you want a coach who knows a thing or two about the offensive side of the ball, UIW's coaching staff the last few years is a pretty decent place to look.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

bignecks

all right with this short timeframe I need more rumor and speculation
bignecks

Bubb if you're out here: I'll buy season basketball tickets for 2 if you drop me a scoop at the game tonight
bignecks

My word, in that article Bubb said he values head coaching experience at the D1 level. Tremendous article. I'm ready to breathe in every bit of speculation over the next week and a half. 
axe_co17

Incarnate Word was really bad, but they started to invest in certain areas. They hired well and brought in the right players. The biggest difference is they were a program that lacked resources, in the middle of a major metropolitan area, in the state of Texas. Western Illinois doesn’t sit within an hour of that kind of population. The Texas part speaks for itself. This is what makes the hire interesting, and incredibly important. If you zoom your focus in on any one thing, confirmation bias will give you the answer you want. Perspective is important for the decision makers.

meganeck

WIU2DC wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:17 pm https://x.com/pspigskin/status/1729616620547408126?s=46

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story, thanks for posting. Interesting comments in the article. With Bubb saying he likes head coaching experience, wouldn't favor the NFL guy.

Also I'm a LC member and I'd be willing to be on the committee, just saying