Transfers

Rockydog

rocki wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:14 pm So, any thoughts on whether this hire helps keep kids here or sends them to the portal? I don't know anyone in the program, so I am clueless on whether this  will help or hurt the current players.

Will really depend on whether or not Davis is open to keeping what could be perceived as Hen’s players.  As long as he is, it should help keep the younger players.  Some of the older would likely leave either way because they don’t have time (Or enough years of eligibility left) to see if he can rebuild the program.
sealhall74

Rockydog wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:12 pm
rocki wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:14 pm So, any thoughts on whether this hire helps keep kids here or sends them to the portal? I don't know anyone in the program, so I am clueless on whether this  will help or hurt the current players.

Will really depend on whether or not Davis is open to keeping what could be perceived as Hen’s players.  As long as he is, it should help keep the younger players.  Some of the older would likely leave either way because they don’t have time (Or enough years of eligibility left) to see if he can rebuild the program.

If a kid has doubts about competing for a starting position, he needs to hit the road.  Like they tell the 1000+ USMA new cadets during orientation: "Only 5 of you in this incoming class will ever make it to General rank.  If you are not standing up right now to see who the other 4 are, you are probably not meant to be here"

Embrace the pace of the race.
axe_co17

Some of these players are on their fourth position coach. Knock the players, but understand what happens when you play for a new coach every year as well. Sure, it’s only a small amount, but to overlook that aspect would be foolish. Without looking into it, I’m sure a few players have played for potentially three coordinators as well. Every year Western repeats the same mistakes and/or starts over.
leatherneckcountry

Looks like coach is offering a lot of transfers is that going to be the main focus or is he planning on high school kids but just trying to plug holes with experience right now 
Rockydog

Interesting that the majority of WIU players that have entered the portal have offers from other D1 schools.  If these players were as bad as bad as most of you thought why would any other (D1) school want them?
rocki

Rockydog wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:30 pm Interesting that the majority of WIU players that have entered the portal have offers from other D1 schools.  If these players were as bad as bad as most of you thought why would any other (D1) school want them?

How many have entered the portal now? Is there any place they are listed?
Rockydog

rocki wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:09 pm
Rockydog wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:30 pm Interesting that the majority of WIU players that have entered the portal have offers from other D1 schools.  If these players were as bad as bad as most of you thought why would any other (D1) school want them?

How many have entered the portal now? Is there any place they are listed?

I’ve seen about a dozen now.  I’m not aware of anywhere you can see a list, I’ve just noticed them on Twitter.

Agreed! We had talent at every position. There are some 1st and 2nd year players who were not given a regular chance despite most people around them feeling like they were the better players (including OL). Somebody within the program (not a player) believed it happened because the position coach wanted to develop them another year out of sight from other programs (no game film) so they couldn't comfortably transfer. It ended up biting the coaches in the ass because they didn't have that long of leash. 
Rockydog

Guest wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:45 am

Agreed! We had talent at every position. There are some 1st and 2nd year players who were not given a regular chance despite most people around them feeling like they were the better players (including OL). Somebody within the program (not a player) believed it happened because the position coach wanted to develop them another year out of sight from other programs (no game film) so they couldn't comfortably transfer. It ended up biting the coaches in the ass because they didn't have that long of leash. 

What they said 👆
sealhall74

Rockydog wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:43 am
Guest wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:45 am

What they said 👆

That sounds like more of a strategy for an Alabama or Ohio State program than a struggling FCS one but what do I know.  The only thing I am pretty sure of is that our talent level from 1 to 22 needs an upgrade and quickly.

Embrace the pace of the race.