2024 Recruits/Commitments

meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:29 am
QLotVeteran wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:52 am All 5 expected signees are completed!  Good group of players considering.  Looking forward to seeing who we get by Feb.  I think we'll see a heavy push for OL and DL.  Probably at least 1 more D1 ready RB.  

I see Coach Kreczmer put out a tweet looking for JUCO or transfer portal DL to contact him, so that must be a point of emphasis.

Its kinda funny to see Coach Davis comment on the recruits that signed today, most of them he didn't really recruit and probably knows very little about.

I saw that about the DL and also mention of changing the defense to 4 DL (thank you!), so would need even more.

axe_co17

Defensive line depth and talent was lacking in a big way. That was relayed to me through many people who would have plenty of insight. Probably underperformed too by the way the line of scrimmage moved every play. Recruiting several transfer DL was the plan no matter what. I don’t think having an extra defensive lineman on the field was going to help. WIU won’t win more games because of a 4-3 or a 3-4. It really makes no difference at the end of the day. It’s talent, depth, development, and execution. 
Rockydog

University of South Dakota signed 22 yesterday.  Just shows how far we are off with our 5.

Trying to stay optimistic for next season, but whoa we got a lot of work to do.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Rockydog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:25 am And EIU signed 16
https://eiupanthers.com/news/2023/12/20 ... igning-day

We have a new coach...he had like a week to get kids to commit. I'm amazed we got anyone with as little time as there was this year.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Rockydog

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:07 am
Rockydog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:25 am And EIU signed 16
https://eiupanthers.com/news/2023/12/20 ... igning-day

We have a new coach...he had like a week to get kids to commit. I'm amazed we got anyone with as little time as there was this year.

It just shows how unattractive WIU has become for potential athletes, and appears that maybe the new head coach doesn’t bring quite the level of excitement we hoped he would. Our program is going to continue to struggle if we are counting on a bunch of Feb signees to help turn it around.
Not to mention, our interim HC did “such a fantastic job”, and said in an interview his priority was the recruits, I guess I expected more.  I would have hoped for maybe half the numbers of the other schools.
Nothing against Feb signees, but what you may not realize is that after Spring ball (which obviously none of them would be on campus for) our team can’t actually practice again until fall camp which starts in August.  

Rockydog

And I’m not saying this is anyone fault, just sharing the reality of where we actually are as a program.  
leatherneckcountry

My guess is we will see a heavy dose of transfers this 1st year then go after HS kids next year just my guess based off of who we have been offering. Colorado has a 6 man class and look at all the excitement Deion brought 

leatherneckcountry

axe_co17 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:41 am Curious to know what people think of today’s signees. Was it a success? Three of the five high school athletes were already committed. Looks like two were brought in by Coach Davis. Did the player from Geneseo have his offer pulled? Anyone know? Appears a couple transfers are coming as well, with one being a RB back from a D2 in Missouri.

Maybe he signed at ISU as a walk on so possibly coach Davis wasn’t interested 
Rockydog

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:49 am My guess is we will see a heavy dose of transfers this 1st year then go after HS kids next year just my guess based off of who we have been offering. Colorado has a 6 man class and look at all the excitement Deion brought 

So Deion started on December 4th of LAST year, and here is an article about his first recruiting class.
https://thednvr.com/a-complete-breakdow ... ing-class/

Not sure what point you were trying to make but it is not valid.