Week 3 in the MVFC

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Going to go ahead and post the games now. I'll update scores periodically on Saturday.
As usual, teams are listed with their current rankings in the STATS FCS poll. All times listed in Central and I've posted where they can be found for viewing (if available).

Drake @ South Dakota - 2:00 PM in Vermillion, SD (ESPN3)
Southeast Missouri State @ Indiana State - 2:05 PM in Terre Haute, IN (USTREAM....I think...that's what ISUb's website says)
North Dakota @ North Dakota State - 2:30 PM in Fargo, ND (ESPN3)
St. Francis (PA) @ Youngstown State - 3:00 PM in Youngstown, OH (ESPN3)
Illinois State @ Eastern Illinois - 6:00 PM in Charleston, IL (OVC Network)
Missouri State @ Arkansas State - 6:00 PM in Jonesboro, AR (ESPN3)
Northern Iowa @ Cal Poly - 9:30 PM in San Louis Obispo, CA (American Sports Network...not streaming, but available on some cable/satellite packages...locally on Comcast SportsNet Chicago Plus)

Interesting matchups:

UND at NDSU - The battle for the Nickel Trophy has been played 110 times going back to 1894 (trophy was introduced in 1938) although, due to the two teams being in different conferences now, hasn't been played since 2003. North Dakota State is, of course, very tough...especially in the Fargodome, but UND is actually pretty decent this year too. They're 2-0 with wins over Wyoming (FBS) and Drake.

ISU at EIU - This rivalry (only recently formalized into the Mid-America Classic) has been played 102 times going back to 1901 and recently has been played every year since 2002 (including twice in '06). In addition to the rivalry aspect, it will be interesting to see how a different MVFC team matches up with Eastern and will allow us to start comparing stats a little more directly and give us a better idea of how we might match up with Illinois State when we head down there 5 weeks later.

UNI at CP - UNI lost at Iowa State, then defeated a very good Eastern Washington team. Cal Poly went up to Montana and beat the Grizzlies (who had beaten NDSU the week before) and then went to Arizona State (Pac 12) and gave them a scare, holding a 21-21 tie until about 7 1/2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not MVFC, but a Western opponent this year. Illinois is on the road at North Carolina right now. They just kicked off about 5 minutes ago (as of this posting) and Illinois is moving the ball pretty well against UNC.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ST_Lawson wrote:Not MVFC, but a Western opponent this year. Illinois is on the road at North Carolina right now. They just kicked off about 5 minutes ago (as of this posting) and Illinois is moving the ball pretty well against UNC.
Well, I was hoping Illinois would make it a game, but apparently UNC decided to do to them what they've been doing to us and Kent State.
Final was 48-14, with the last IL TD essentially in "garbage time".
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Today's scores in the MVFC:

Drake - 0
South Dakota - 52

Southeast Missouri State - 28
Indiana State - 29
After holding on to beat SIU last week, SEMO lost a squeaker to Indiana State

North Dakota - 9
North Dakota State - 34
NDSU wins the "rivalry game"...although I seem to remember someone saying that for some reason this game wasn't actually for the nickel trophy, but not 100% sure on that. So even though NDSU won, UND might keep the nickel for now.

St. Francis (PA) - 3
Youngstown State - 48

Missouri State - 7
Arkansas State - 70
I know Arkansas State is FBS, but still....ouch

Illinois State - 34
Eastern Illinois - 31
ISU (barely) wins the Mid-America Classic this year in overtime.

And still in progress (out on the west coast):
Northern Iowa - 28
Cal Poly - 7
at Halftime