Portland State beats North Texas

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Normally I wouldn't mention it, but Portland State (FCS, Big Sky) took down North Texas (FBS, CUSA) 66-7 today....yea...Sixty Six to SEVEN against an FBS team...at their own homecoming.

Oh and hey....guess what...they fired their coach....before the post-game press conference: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... land-state
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

Given that type of rout when just a 3.5pt underdog, I imagine they really made the decision long before it got to post-game press conference time. Gotta give them kudos for not dilly-dallying in making a decision.
wiu712

Attendance at North Texas (Denton, TX) was 19,801.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

More info: https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... in-records

My favorite bit from that article (in talking about how Portland State is 2-0 against FBS teams this season):
Portland State beat Washington State ... and Washington State beat Oregon Saturday night ... so Portland State is the best team in Oregon now.
meganeck

I know people bag on Kansas, but I think North Texas has to be the worse team in FBS
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote:I know people bag on Kansas, but I think North Texas has to be the worse team in FBS
Yea, according to Sagarin, they're the 195th best Div. I team and the worst FBS team. If they were in our conference, they'd be second to last, just barely above Missouri State. I know they're bad, but they're still a FBS team, and CUSA at that (which is "supposed" to be better than the Sun Belt)...they have more scholarships and more financial resources than any FCS team.

Apparently this is the largest margin of defeat for a FCS over FBS game.
yokedneck

McCarney is the former Iowa state coach and off the Hayden Fry coaching tree. He had some success at ISU but faded. NTSU built a new stadium in 2011 and Dan's 5 year losing record was not helping fill the stands.

Tom
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
yokedneck

meganeck wrote:I know people bag on Kansas, but I think North Texas has to be the worse team in FBS
As a kansas state grad feel free to bag on kansas at will.

Tom
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

yokedneck wrote:
As a kansas state grad feel free to bag on kansas at will.

Tom
Ha...sure thing. My father-in-law got his doctorate at K-State, so my wife spent a few years there when she was growing up (I think 2nd through 4th grade). I wouldn't say I'm a K-State fan, but out of all the Big 12 teams, they're my favorite. Helps that their main color is purple too.
yokedneck

Agreed we did not have to invest in a new wardrobe between kstate and wiu. Now we can wear purple all week.

Tom