HC from lower division
22%
Asst/Coord from other Div. I
67%
Someone else (feel free to comment)
11%

Total votes: 9
lovethenecks

I saw on the South Dakota Website for the 2016 Coaches they now only list Bob N. Must have cleaned house and will be adding some WIU Staffers soon.
WIU2DC

Personally with the budget issues facing the state, I think we should go after a HC that went to WIU and that could use the experience to maybe help their career as well. It will be hard to get a HC that has a lot of experience to take such a risk in losing his paycheck because the state can't figure out their budget. Personally, looking at the first post we should go after the QB Coach at the Cal school. WIU grad, a lot of experience, we could probably get him cheap, and he will get a pretty solid roster to help his resume to either renegotiate his contract or move on. Until the state figures out the budget I think the school will be hard pressed to hire whomever is cheapest. Hopefully our old QB won't mind moving to Macomb for a low salary as a HC.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:Personally with the budget issues facing the state, I think we should go after a HC that went to WIU and that could use the experience to maybe help their career as well. It will be hard to get a HC that has a lot of experience to take such a risk in losing his paycheck because the state can't figure out their budget. Personally, looking at the first post we should go after the QB Coach at the Cal school. WIU grad, a lot of experience, we could probably get him cheap, and he will get a pretty solid roster to help his resume to either renegotiate his contract or move on. Until the state figures out the budget I think the school will be hard pressed to hire whomever is cheapest. Hopefully our old QB won't mind moving to Macomb for a low salary as a HC.
Do you mean Hecklinski? He's Colorado State University - Pueblo (not Cal). And he already got hired elsewhere: http://www.si.com/college-football/2015 ... ate-pueblo
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:
WIU2DC wrote:Personally with the budget issues facing the state, I think we should go after a HC that went to WIU and that could use the experience to maybe help their career as well. It will be hard to get a HC that has a lot of experience to take such a risk in losing his paycheck because the state can't figure out their budget. Personally, looking at the first post we should go after the QB Coach at the Cal school. WIU grad, a lot of experience, we could probably get him cheap, and he will get a pretty solid roster to help his resume to either renegotiate his contract or move on. Until the state figures out the budget I think the school will be hard pressed to hire whomever is cheapest. Hopefully our old QB won't mind moving to Macomb for a low salary as a HC.
Do you mean Hecklinski? He's Colorado State University - Pueblo (not Cal). And he already got hired elsewhere: http://www.si.com/college-football/2015 ... ate-pueblo

Well, my opinion is null and void then. haha. Speaking of, how does one get in contact with an alumni group? I graduated in 2011 and would like to know how to be more involved from the East Coast.

Back to the HC job, we have a great group this year and every day we go by without a new coach we lose the JuCo transfers that are feeling out what team gives them the best chance to win with their final two seasons left. From previous messages from LN57, everything works out like he is saying. We need to put this in the past ASAP.
BobLovely

To quote a line from the film Raiders Of The Lost Ark, "top men" are working on this effort. But, just as in the fim, no seems to know whom...

Bob
wiu712

WIU2DC wrote:How does one get in contact with an alumni group? I graduated in 2011 and would like to know how to be more involved from the East Coast.
I would suggest contacting one of the people listed in the "Alumni Programs Staff" section of the following web page:
http://www.wiu.edu/alumni/about.php#staff
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:Speaking of, how does one get in contact with an alumni group? I graduated in 2011 and would like to know how to be more involved from the East Coast.
As mentioned, talk to alumni relations: http://www.wiu.edu/alumni

There's quite a few events all over the country throughout the year. Find one or a few near you and start to make some contacts with people.
I don't know where you are specifically along the east coast, but here's some upcoming events out that way (full event list here: http://www.wiu.edu/alumni/events.php)

February 6, 2016 - Ft. Lauderdale Alumni & Friends Social (quite a few in Florida in February actually...if you happen to be southeastern area)
March 24, 2016 - Boston Alumni & Friends Social
June 14, 2016 - Washington Nationals vs. Chicago Cubs Pregame Social & Baseball Game in Washington D.C.
July 26, 2016 - New York Alumni & Friends Social

Or, if there's nothing close to you, talk to Alumni Relations, see if you can gather together a group of alumni that are local to you (or maybe your nearest good-sized city) and see if Alumni Relations would want to put together a local event there.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck57

I thought I would give you an update on the HC situation. We thought there was an outside chance we could retain Coach AJ Blazek as head coach. The football alumni and several influential boosters really pushed for this and thought it would be a good fit not only on the field but for the university and community. He was well liked by everyone but in the end his gut and heart went to Rutgers. He accepted the position tonight.

Administrators did just about all they could over the weekend and today to keep Coach Blazek but it just wasn't meant for him to stay. I will miss his energy, genuine personality and his passion for the game. I wish him and his family the best at his new home.

From what I understand we still have a phenomenal list of candidates to choose from for our future. It's not a time to sit around and think about what might have been but what's ahead. I am positive that the selection committee (I know them all) will do a great job finding that right fit and that coach and his staff will take our current level of talent to new levels! I feel confident about our future and so should our players, fans, students and community.

On another note, I understand the first meeting discussing the west side stadium renovation went well...as information becomes available I'll let you know. STAY POSITIVE Leathernecks!!

Former Neck
wiu712

Vince Okruch will be the new Special Teams Coordinator at Rutgers. He was the Defensive Coordinator at Western in 2004. He is a 1977 grad from Culver-Stockton College.
Footballdad

Blazek wanted a Big Ten job! But wow Rutgers.. Good luck to him playing the big boys of Big Ten