Feb 4 vs IPFW

wiu712

Thursday's contest against IPFW will be "Military Appreciation/ROTC Night".

The game will be on ESPN3. Game time is 7PM (CST).
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

That's it, from now on...every night is military appreciation night.

[tweet]695443128119988226[/tweet]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Western wins 88-87 on a last second put-back by Mallory Boyle!

Sophie Reichelt led the Western scoring with 25 points. Taylor Higginbotham had 24. Michelle Maher had 16.

Attendance at Western Hall was 511.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:That's it, from now on...every night is military appreciation night.

[tweet]695443128119988226[/tweet]
A lot of arenas I have been to have a media timeout moment during game in which PA announcer asks all veterans and members of armed forces to stand and be recognized. Usually accompanied by a short "God Bless the USA" soundbyte. Always generates much applause from crowd. Not sure if we do it or not, but it would make Rock proud no doubt.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:A lot of arenas I have been to have a media timeout moment during game in which PA announcer asks all veterans and members of armed forces to stand and be recognized. Usually accompanied by a short "God Bless the USA" soundbyte. Always generates much applause from crowd. Not sure if we do it or not, but it would make Rock proud no doubt.
During both "Military Appreciation Nights", the veterans and current military members were asked to stand and be recognized during one of the time-outs. However, there was no accompanying music.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

For those that missed it...

[tweet]695455543964495872[/tweet]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I did what I always do and watched (muted) and listened to the game last night. The video was quite a bit delayed behind the audio but tolerable for me. I actually like doing this because when I learn of a big play happening on the radio side, I key in to the video a lot more focused to that particular moment. Usually it works that way. But I got so wrapped up in Danny Frey's radio call and post-game hysteria that I actually did not see the winning basket until this morning on an ESPN3 replay. Very gutsy call for JD to go with long lob pass to Maher on last play. JD has a knack for pulling out some strategic and tactical shockers every now and again.
letsgonecks

Great finish and win. Maher's split second thinking of tipping it out was huge. Must people would fight for the rebound and time would expire during the wrestling match. Don't know if or how she somehow knew Boyle would be there, but it sure seemed like it.
sealhall74

Touch pass is the most underutilized skill in the game of basketball. How effective would a "blind" touch pass be from one big man to another around the rim?

[youtube][/youtube]

Another one you rarely see is the pass which for all intents and purposes looks exactly like a shot but passer aims off the rim just a bit and a teammate catches above rim (outside cylinder of course) and slams it home. Does not look anything like an alley-oop but just as effective. Defenders are usually left totally flat-footed with a dumb look on their face when it happens. It works very well when pass comes off a jump shot beyond the arc. The most famous instance (I dont think it was planned) of this pass was during the NCAA championship game back in 1983.

[youtube][/youtube]