Head Coaching Search

Rockydog

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:07 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:30 pm
Rockydog wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:47 pm

I heard some of the players were impressed with him!

This, but also lacks head coaching experience. So depends how much weight you put in that aspect. 

Do any of the finalists have D1 head coaching experience 

I can’t imagine any coach with experience as a HC at the D1 level wanting to come to WIU.  We literally have the largest losing streak right now in all of D1 football nation wide.  

I’d assume our applicants either have position coach or coordinator experience at D1 level or NFL who want to be a HC, or applicants who have been successful HCs at the D2 level or lower that want to get to D1.
vatusay

Call up jimbo. See if he wants to become a coach of folklore. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
axe_co17

NewNeck wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:32 am We just had a HC with prior d2/naia HC experience.  Did not work put very well.  He also was as connected and passionate about the Macomb community as any candidate could be.  We need an OC/QB guy that has had success at the FCS level. Midwest ties preferred.  Someone who understand offensive football, can develop the QB position and will be patient and diligent about hiring an excellent staff.  OL Coach and DC priority for him.  This is a chance to do it right as we enter OVC play.  Energy, enthusiasm and a vision to make the Necks great again!  There are great candidates right in our backyard!

Jeromy Dowdell - OC - SEMO
Joe Davis - OC - EIU
Blake Rolan - OC - SIU
Tony Peterson - OC - ISU

Great list to start with!!!!

This post comes off with a weird vibe. Is there an agenda of some kind? Brand new member who puts forth four names. One coincidentally interviewed for the job Monday. The other candidates this week presumably have lower level head coach experience and/or no strong ties to the Midwest area. Also, being passionate about Macomb, Illinois being used as a negative? Exactly why should it be an OC/QB guy? Right in our backyard? Sounds like Newneck is involved in some way.

leatherneckcountry

axe_co17 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:25 pm
NewNeck wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:32 am We just had a HC with prior d2/naia HC experience.  Did not work put very well.  He also was as connected and passionate about the Macomb community as any candidate could be.  We need an OC/QB guy that has had success at the FCS level. Midwest ties preferred.  Someone who understand offensive football, can develop the QB position and will be patient and diligent about hiring an excellent staff.  OL Coach and DC priority for him.  This is a chance to do it right as we enter OVC play.  Energy, enthusiasm and a vision to make the Necks great again!  There are great candidates right in our backyard!

Jeromy Dowdell - OC - SEMO
Joe Davis - OC - EIU
Blake Rolan - OC - SIU
Tony Peterson - OC - ISU

Great list to start with!!!!

This post comes off with a weird vibe. Is there an agenda of some kind? Brand new member who puts forth four names. One coincidentally interviewed for the job Monday. The other candidates this week presumably have lower level head coach experience and/or no strong ties to the Midwest area. Also, being passionate about Macomb, Illinois being used as a negative? Exactly why should it be an OC/QB guy? Right in our backyard? Sounds like Newneck is involved in some way.

Definitely none of those names excite me 

bignecks

I think we need defensive leadership. The last half of the season will be played in the cold. Also the NIL hounds are bigger for offensive players than defensive. I've already said it once but I'm wanting Spence Nowinsky of names we've heard so far. I was very impressed by Ohio's defensive play against Iowa State. 
leatherneckcountry

bignecks wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:45 pm I think we need defensive leadership. The last half of the season will be played in the cold. Also the NIL hounds are bigger for offensive players than defensive. I've already said it once but I'm wanting Spence Nowinsky of names we've heard so far. I was very impressed by Ohio's defensive play against Iowa State. 

He was the 1st name I said and was made to feel like an idiot because we couldn’t ever get a MAC coordinator 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:47 pm
bignecks wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:45 pm I think we need defensive leadership. The last half of the season will be played in the cold. Also the NIL hounds are bigger for offensive players than defensive. I've already said it once but I'm wanting Spence Nowinsky of names we've heard so far. I was very impressed by Ohio's defensive play against Iowa State. 

He was the 1st name I said and was made to feel like an idiot because we couldn’t ever get a MAC coordinator 

I think we absolutely could get a MAC coordinator, depending on who it is and what they're currently making. Nowinsky is getting $180k from Ohio currently, so it wouldn't really be much of a salary increase for him to come here. Some MAC coordinators make under $150k and I think that the increase would be a bigger incentive. Money isn't the only consideration though...if a guy is looking to get into the HC ranks, the position might be more important than the numbers on the check.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
QLotVeteran

I think we need to temper our expectations.  I don't think what folks would call a "homerun hire" is in the cards for this program right now.  That doesn't mean we can't have a good hire, and definitely an upgrade.  Whoever the new Coach is, he'll need our support to be successful.  
sealhall74

QLotVeteran wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:55 am I think we need to temper our expectations.  I don't think what folks would call a "homerun hire" is in the cards for this program right now.  That doesn't mean we can't have a good hire, and definitely an upgrade.  Whoever the new Coach is, he'll need our support to be successful.  

Agree. Very risky job for a young up and comer.  But could be a good job for a veteran coach like a Rob Ash who was a finalist for the job a few years back.  Lost out to Fisher.  Spent a year as offensive analyst for Arkansas after that.  Now on the mgmt team here.  

http://www.championshipanalytics.com/our-services/

Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:19 am
QLotVeteran wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:55 am I think we need to temper our expectations.  I don't think what folks would call a "homerun hire" is in the cards for this program right now.  That doesn't mean we can't have a good hire, and definitely an upgrade.  Whoever the new Coach is, he'll need our support to be successful.  

Agree. Very risky job for a young up and comer.  But could be a good job for a veteran coach like a Rob Ash who was a finalist for the job a few years back.  Lost out to Fisher.  Spent a year as offensive analyst for Arkansas after that.  Now on the mgmt team here.  

http://www.championshipanalytics.com/our-services/

He dropped out when fisher got the job