Hanson Field Scoreboard/Videoboard?

Western_101

Thanks for the pics ST L. I think it looks pretty good. Again, I think part of the issue is where the location of the previous board was and that the decision was made to re-use the support structure already in place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote:I still think people should put off passing judgement until it is totally complete and plugged in with the video board in action! Some of the photo's taken have not done the new structure justice IMO! I think the lettering on top will provide a nice touch! Of course some of you probably think I am drinking the cool aide once again! ;) jc
I think you're absolutely right. The season hasn't started yet and we haven't seen the video part of the board in action. It could work out great from there...who knows.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Really hope they put out a sweet test video! Lets all remember even the scoreboard which is nothing super special is a big step up from last years and the video board is just a start! Next is new stadium and then I would love to see a couple exterior TV's at each food stand.

Let's all bow our heads for the old scoreboard... if you wanna see how improved it is check out the pics below. Also, don't forget the new board still has the Western Illinois University letting to go over the board. WIU712 were the light up areas ones that could write out anything to change names based on teams?
index.jpg
index.jpg (12.45 KiB) Viewed 5639 times
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 5639 times
wiu712

Photo of the scoreboard & videoboard in action:
https://www.facebook.com/wiubc/photos/a ... =1&theater
WIU0812

FINAL TOUCHES! And now that it is done, I have to say it is a huge improvement and definitely a stepping stone which is easy to build upon.
Attachments
Bu7Qx6ICAAAaU13.jpg
Bu7Qx6ICAAAaU13.jpg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 5571 times
Neckfansince71

Well, well, well! I really like the way the scoreboard turned out. I know most of the scoreboards that I have seen have the video board on top, but the placement of this video board is going to allow for it to be used not only during the basketball season, but also by other production companies during the summer which means "rental fees!" We are certainly on the "upward trail!" ;) jc
KippJones

Some people have "sounded off" and seem too quick to judge regarding the scoreboard... "video board isn't big enough," "it sits too far back," "that's it?" etc... I drove by on Murray Street yesterday and it's actually bigger than you think. The pictures turned out great, but I recommend you check it out in person. I like the "Western Illinois University" trim added to the top, it looks great.

Another step forward for Leatherneck Athletics... Keep progressing!
sealhall74

As a very wee lad growing up in Alexis, I recall that every Wednesday night during the summer was movie night in out town park. Some guy from Abingdon would drive over and set up a decent size movie screen on the band stage and project a movie onto it. I guess I was not paying much attention because the flick titles did not stick me. However, there was a nice payoff for me in my latter teen years as I made a killing with my metal detector finding all that loose change that somehow escaped from pockets while the folks were sprawled out on the grass watching (or not) the movie. Reason I am posting this is because in my neck of the woods out here in VA, James Madison U is doing something similar with their video board to draw in a few extra fans and dollars - they are hosting their 2nd annual overnight coed campout for scouts. Not sure what flick they are showing this year. The sky is the limit with a nice video board setup - just takes some people to think outside that box/rectangular screen.

http://www.jmusports.com/news/2014/8/7/ ... 40346.aspx

BTW, I read the above promo and learned a new word today (vomitory). I guess every stadium needs at least one - certainly did back in my day. :)
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

I do think the board turned out nice but is definitely smaller than expected. Most places now are getting rid of the scoreboard and using a straight video board which can display a scoreboard and between plays then the entire board can be used for replays or promos. Just was thinking, but I am not sure if it does this, the signage they just added looks pretty similar to the items they have been placing around school like on the grand entry way which light up and look amazing! How awesome would it be if during night games the Western Illinois University lights up!
WIU0812

For comparison I took the distance from end zone and the size of video boards of nearby schools

WIU: Board - 320 SF
Distance - 130 LF

SIU: Board - 800 SF
Distance - 110 LF

ILSTU: Board - 1222 SF
Distance - 55 LF
This scoreboard is also new this year and supposedly unless this is regarding a different board they spend 1.2 million on the board, sound system and a main street signage which if I remember right was a small video board along the road. http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/go ... f887a.html This is a little confusing since our board cost almost $500,000 and used original supports which would be a cost saver. Maybe the portable board is more expensive?

NIU: Board - 612 SF
Distance - 75 LF

U of I: Board - 3,456 SF
Distance - 190 LF

EIU: Board - 324 SF
Distance - 65 LF It is worth noting that EIU also has a track around their field, but they have a plan to build a completely new stadium in the future. This board is placed right in the track kind of where our north end zone is at.