Hanson Field Scoreboard/Videoboard?

Western_101

Seems like a 32' wide board is pretty good size. My issue is that it is only 10' in height. I think 16'x32' would be much better dimension and height to width ratio. That would put the sq footage at 512sq ft. which is a decent size for FCS.

0812, I was more of the impression that the new scoreboard at Hanson is situated about 110' from the back of the North end zone. Either way, yes it is the farthest back, except for UofI's which really doesn't count because it it 10 times the size of Western's.
WIU0812

If we would have not bought a scoreboard and just done like most people and gone for an entire video board it would have been 32' x 18'. This would have been perfect at 576 SF. I guess I should know better though the only thing that has really out done my expectations was the new entry way. As for the distance it could be closer to 110', I used Google earth and their measuring tool to determine each distance and from the very back white on our end zone to front of board read almost exactly 130'. Even at that I am still stunned by the price unless it is cheap to go up in size which I would think would be the complete opposite. How can ILSTU get a new 1222 SF Video Board, New Sound System(which I had a friend tell me the sounds system is awesome) and a road display sign for 1.2 million and we get a 320 SF video board and a 256 SF LED Scoreboard for $456,000? Seems like there should have been more there unless the special sign above our board really cost a ton, but unless it lights up I can't see it being more the like $10,000 to $20,000. After some searching online it looks like the scoreboard is similar to a Daktronics FB-2025 and runs somewhere under $50,000 which is giving it cushion since the one I saw was around $34,000. I guess I just wish there was a cost breakdown between the two so I could see the difference.

Drawing of their new video board
Last edited by WIU0812 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
WIU0812

Also, not to be on a rant, but I just checked and if they would have moved to other end zone where the turf is and placed kinda out of way of the practice area it would have been approximately 70' away from end zone. I know the hill is there and people tend to sit on that which is most likely why they did not decide to do this, but that is the ideal location for distance unless they could have done like EIU and placed in the track.
sealhall74

I am only guessing here but because the 16:9 aspect ratio is pretty much a standard these days for HDTV, they might have went with 32x10 because it is easily chopped in half to give you two video boards for Western Hall, each very close (16x10) to the 16:9 standard.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

I am looking forward to getting another look at the new scoreboard this coming Saturday prior to the Purple and Gold gathering. I guess after looking at the specs of the other video/score boards throughout the state I have a couple questions.

1. Which of the other boards is portable and can be moved and used at another on campus venue such as Western Hall or the baseball or softball stadiums?

2. Which of the other boards can be rented out over the summer allowing for revenue for the athletic department?

3. And which of the other boards has the ability to be expanded by another 40 panels in the future?

Now Illinois does not need to have a board with any of these capabilities because money is not an issue. But is growth and revenue a possibility with any of the other boards listed? The two things I have learned about the administration at WIU is that 1) things are done with class! and 2) things are done with a vision! The new entrance way on 67 is class. The renovation of the union especially the north porch has been done with style and class. And the scoreboard, in it's completed state has class along with growth potential. (IMO) This is a first step not the final step in video board use and development. I am really anxious to see how the boards are used in Western Hall! Neoti lists WIU as a pilot member of portable video board technology. I thought it was a different and new way to do things when the 23' x 13' video board was put up and used in the south endzone and I like the duality of the new score/video board that is now in the North endzone area. The best is yet to come! ;) jc
WIU0812

I sure hope your right and I agree the portable feature is aeesome. And unique. It is nice we can add 40 more panels though that only adds 80 SF more and brings it to about approx 32 x 12 from.my understanding there is 160 panels there now.
Neckfansince71

What is the basic dimension of each panel? ;) jc
WIU0812

I am not sure off the top of my head if I find out I will let you know, but if it is 320 SF then each square would need to be 2 SF if there is 160 of them. If I am correct on that there is a chance I am off, but I remember there supposedly being 160 panels.
WIU0812

Ok, so now I feel like a fool because I am pretty sure that the 160 panels was wrong and it currently is 114 panels. It must be able to go up to 160 which would be 46 more panels. This means it could be approximately 40% larger than it currently is and still be able to withstand the wind ratings and what not. This is definitely much more promising and would bring total to around 450 SF placing WIU towards middle of the pack for FCS! Guess that is what I get for trying to remember something of the top of my head.
wiu712

Interesting review of the game-day experience at Hanson Field as written by Paul Swaney of "Stadium Journey":
http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/ ... eld-s1345/