Safety Issues at Hanson Field

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
wiu712

I saw a couple of people fall trying to go down the steps of the west grandstand.  There are no hand rails in the aisles on the west side.

The two back entrances into the west stands were blocked with TV cameras.  The Fire Marshall would not approve of blocking an exit like that.

Neckfansince71

I saw a couple of people fall trying to go down the steps of the west grandstand.  There are no hand rails in the aisles on the west side.
 I absolutely agree with you 712!  This has got to be addressed in the very near future.  Think its a "life safety issue!" ;)
 jc
sealhall74

I sat in the expensive section (west side middle).  The lowest step leading up to the aisle around it had a sizable chuck of concrete missing from it.  No handrails and most of the people there are around my age (65 or better).  Having to close the west side down and move everyone to the east side may be a thing that the Prez is going to have to deal with.  Saw him walking up the steps in that section, shaking hands and greeting folks.  Not sure where his seating assignment was but it had to be nearby.  IMHO, screw the CPA until this is fixed.  What is the latest on our privately funded stadium renovation?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

IMHO, screw the CPA until this is fixed.  What is the latest on our privately funded stadium renovation?
Now Seal, you and I both know that the funding for the CPA has nothing to do with the private funding you speak of for the aging westside of Hanson.  What happen to the westside "campaign?"  Well someone named Rauner to begin with, and then rumors of "doom" for some of the state universities plus the "Jack" situation along with Covid that basically seemed to paralyze our athletic department amongst other things.  If I was the AD I would make sure that Dr. Huang was taken on a facilities tour of our MVFC counter parts besides constantly pointing out the cracks in the cement etc.  Dr. Huang has said a number of times that the campus looks tired.  Hanson Field as far as I am concerned ala the west side looks exhausted.  East side is really nice and that was accomplished with student funds.  The westside needs to be condemned until it is fixed or fixed up.  We need that athletics building in the North end zone which would benefit everyone in athletics. jc ;)

ps. CPA is 4 to 6 weeks away from having finished plans and then its time to bid.  Amen!

wiu712

The Television Crew needs to find another position for 2 of their cameras.  They should not be blocking those two entrance-and-exit points at the top of the west grandstands.

GV Dad

Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:35 pm
IMHO, screw the CPA until this is fixed.  What is the latest on our privately funded stadium renovation?
  "If I was the AD ... "

If you were AD we wouldn't have these problems! :-)

meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:23 pm The Television Crew needs to find another position for 2 of their cameras.  They should not be blocking those two entrance-and-exit points at the top of the west grandstands.

Did you say anything to somebody, if not you might want to email somebody in the athletics dept about it. Just a suggestion, would hate for it to become an issue at a future game.
Western_101

So how do we pay for a new perhaps more modest West Side (aluminum bleachers like East and a new press box at least twice the size of the current). Can something be realized in the 10 million range?

Would the school issue bonds to pay for it?  I believe WIU's credit rating was downgraded by Moodys so I don't know how that would affect the school's ability to sell bonds. I think it would be unwise to put this on the backs of current or future students. I am not in a position to donate money, I'm sure some people/entities are but may be unwilling due to the performance on the field and the somewhat precarious and unpredictable situation of the school.  If money has been donated for this purpose I have not heard about it. 

I do think the West needs to be demolished either after this season or in the Spring. 

Western_101

meganeck wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm
wiu712 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:23 pm The Television Crew needs to find another position for 2 of their cameras.  They should not be blocking those two entrance-and-exit points at the top of the west grandstands.

Did you say anything to somebody, if not you might want to email somebody in the athletics dept about it. Just a suggestion, would hate for it to become an issue at a future game.

I did not attend the Home opener. For as long as I can remember TV/video cameras were positioned atop the press box. I know there are Covid restrictions in place. Are cameras not allowed on the Press box this season?  It was my understanding that we are not allowing media in the press box. I guess egress to the roof would require negotiating ones way through the press box so.....

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:52 pm I did not attend the Home opener. For as long as I can remember TV/video cameras were positioned atop the press box. I know there are Covid restrictions in place. Are cameras not allowed on the Press box this season?  It was my understanding that we are not allowing media in the press box. I guess egress to the roof would require negotiating ones way through the press box so.....

There's really no way to get up there without going inside the press box and up a ladder, so I'd imagine since they can't get into the press box, they can't get up on top.
I wonder if they could position a "cherry picker" or something behind and above the press box though. I know they used to do that with a camera above/behind the scoreboard, but idk if they still have access to that or not.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000