Fall 2021 - Week 4 - at Youngstown State

GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:22 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 pm MVFC Week 4 Primer from MissouriValleyBeat.com: https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/post ... k-4-primer

Thanks for sharing this link Scott!  I didn't know about this Blog, looks to be a good site.  

Yeah, they seem to do a pretty good job posting previews of games and then they do a follow-up reviewing what happened afterwards.

Here's another article rundown and previews of the MVFC games this week: https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... 4-preview/
This one is thinking we'll lose, but only by 3. Personally, I think it'll be a bit more high scoring than they're predicting, but it seems like most people are thinking this one is essentially a toss-up.

I can understand why people think it will be close.  But I also think people are looking at 0-3 and not that we played to toughest Non Conf of any FCS team, and it's not even close.  Not saying a different schedule would make us 2-1 or 3-0, but I don't think we know enough about this team yet.  The next few weeks will give us a better idea.  This may sound stupid, by I am a little "encouraged" that most of our scores we have given up were long plays.  To me, those are easier fixes than if teams just constantly put together 15 play drives for TDs against us.  I don't see YSU stopping Connor and Company, but not sure what to expect from our D.  I'm hoping improvement, but we'll see.  

letsgonecks

Any updates on Benton, DeJohn Jones and Preston?  Never heard anything on why Benton wasn't suited up last week, but seemed to be moving around ok on the sidelines.  Preston's was walking around with a towel on his head and at one point noticed Haneline giving him a hug, so worried it might be serious.  Jones got jacked after picking up a Sampson fumble.  Dude looked pretty quick for a tackle, but looked like he tweaked his back and don't believe he came back in.

We also saw a pretty deep rotation on defense, so not sure if others were banged up or simply the heat and lots of possessions.  Hope all 3 are back, but really need a healthy Benton back in the mix.  Have some guys with plenty of reps for Preston and Henson looked good for Jones and was our starting LT last year.

Excited for this game and think we'll be able to get a W.  Plan on coaching my 5th/6th grade girls to a bball W at 8am, 4th/5th boys to a football W at 10:30 and celebrating with a few afternoon beers and then watching my Leathernecks make a statement and lock in their first W.  I'll do some couch coaching in that game as well!!!!!

Western_101

Fellas, I have been harsh. 

Yes WIU was hamstrung this season with their commitment to Montana that schedule wise then landed in our lap this year (not sure that is a proper sentence lol). We wanted EWU years back so we have to honor our commitments.

For the Parents that have been misguided to this board lol. My apologies, at the D-I level(in particular with football) your son is kinda treated like a pro athlete. That isn't fair. That is the perception of some, myself included I'm sad to admit. I don't have a counter argument. I offer my apologies.  

There is a ton of talent in the 2021 installment of Leatherneck Football. 

I have the utmost confidence that Western will prevail this Saturday. In my view this is a top half team, yet to play their first down in the Valley. 

GV Dad

Western_101 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:34 am Fellas, I have been harsh. 

Yes WIU was hamstrung this season with their commitment to Montana that schedule wise then landed in our lap this year (not sure that is a proper sentence lol). We wanted EWU years back so we have to honor our commitments.

For the Parents that have been misguided to this board lol. My apologies, at the D-I level(in particular with football) your son is kinda treated like a pro athlete. That isn't fair. That is the perception of some, myself included I'm sad to admit. I don't have a counter argument. I offer my apologies.  

There is a ton of talent in the 2021 installment of Leatherneck Football. 

I have the utmost confidence that Western will prevail this Saturday. In my view this is a top half team, yet to play their first down in the Valley. 

As a parent, can I just say thank you for the apology, but I wish WIU had 100,000 fans just like you that care so deeply about this program!  Keep doing you brother 

leatherneckcountry

Do they really need to sound off the fart machine after every play.
letsgonecks

Is this defense that bad talent wise or the worst coached/prepared we've ever had?  Assuming a little of both, but they or consistently out of place.

Hope someone makes play, but don't see it happening.

sealhall74

Dont you follow the lead blocking back into the hole?  You only need a yard.  Bounce it out is risky.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:00 pm Dont you follow the lead blocking back into the hole?  You only need a yard.  Bounce it out is risky.

No. The announcers were correct qb keeper. They didn't do it last week early with a huge gap.

These coaches suck, can we quit for covid again?

Lots of game left, but I'm hating this team right now.

WIU2DC

Wow. I don’t have words to what is happening right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

Can someone please shoot that train or what ever it's suppose to be and put it out of it misery i can imagine listening to that damn thing every home game.