Head Coaching Search

rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:39 am
rocki wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 am Any "under the radar" scuttlebutt? I realize we want the highest quality we can get, yet we need to think about recruiting.

I heard that they had set themselves a deadline of the 2nd week of December to have a Coach in place.  Now that regular seasons are over, things will likely pick up.  Whether or not we hear anything is a different story.  Totally agree about recruiting, but also recruiting our own players to stay.  There is still talent on the team that we'd like to keep.  

Oh, absolutely. I would love everyone who is still eligible to stay! Hoping we can find the right fit for both returners and new recruits!!!

meganeck

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:39 am
meganeck wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:29 am I'm sorry if I missed this, but did they name an interim coach. Most schools do that to have somebody "in charge" of the program while they are looking for a new coach.

I haven’t heard officially if there is an interim. I have heard that the Asst Coaches are still on Campus. 

thank you

meganeck

Just saw Delaware fired their coach, Danny Rocco, Delaware went 7-1 in the spring and made the seminfinals, but went 5-6 in the fall and he was dismissed. don't know much about him, but would be somebody to look into.
leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm Just saw Delaware fired their coach, Danny Rocco, Delaware went 7-1 in the spring and made the seminfinals, but went 5-6 in the fall and he was dismissed. don't know much about him, but would be somebody to look into.

Coach Rocco is the father of WIU OC David Rocco and coach Fisher was OC under Rocco at Richmond record of 121-65 between Liberty, Richmond and Delaware twice made it to the semifinals of FCS playoffs including this past spring.

meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:07 pm
meganeck wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm Just saw Delaware fired their coach, Danny Rocco, Delaware went 7-1 in the spring and made the seminfinals, but went 5-6 in the fall and he was dismissed. don't know much about him, but would be somebody to look into.

Coach Rocco is the father of WIU OC David Rocco and coach Fisher was OC under Rocco at Richmond record of 121-65 between Liberty, Richmond and Delaware twice made it to the semifinals of FCS playoffs including this past spring.

Oh interesting, did not realize that.
letsgonecks

Rod Carey out at Temple. Things went to shit for them the last 2 years and tons of players left this year, but did a solid job at NIU.

He made some pretty decent coin the last 3 years, so maybe open to much less to stay a HC, if no one else comes calling.
Cubby1

Sorry I was trying to keep up with the posts but there are too many that have nothing to do with the coaching search. Does anyone know who the top candidates are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Cubby1 wrote:Sorry I was trying to keep up with the posts but there are too many that have nothing to do with the coaching search. Does anyone know who the top candidates are?

Nothing has been said either publicly or from any of the places I usually get information, so there’s not really much to report at this point.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Cubby1

Reading through some of these suggestions like Danny Rocco I think that might be a bit of a stretch financially. This position probably ends up around maybe 150-200k per yer year right?

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Cubby1 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:37 am Reading through some of these suggestions like Danny Rocco I think that might be a bit of a stretch financially. This position probably ends up around maybe 150-200k per yer year right?

That should be about where we're at, yes. I don't know if Rocco would be a good fit for us or not, but while he did make quite a bit at Delaware, he was fired from that job, so a step down in pay is not necessarily unwarranted.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000